[Dart-dev] [3233] DART/trunk: Major update to merge_obs_seq:

Hui Liu hliu at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 13 11:47:40 MST 2008

Tim:

   I agree with you.  Some new users are just lazy and
want to taste
DART in a simplest and quickest way.  I understand this is
not good.
Thanks.
hui

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:35:09 -0700
  Tim Hoar <thoar at ucar.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>
> One of my biggest problems is that people rely too much
>on 'pushing  the button'
> and don't understand what is going on. I WANT people to
>manually  build their model,
> it requires that you know what you are doing. The
>workshop_setup.csh  script
> provides guidance so you can do it in the right order,
>but I don't  want people
> to rely on it. The only reason it was there for many of
>the models is  so I can use
> it to ensure the code compiles for a ton of different
>compilers.
>
> If the new users take the time to look at the
>documentation for the  release -
> http://www.image.ucar.edu/DAReS/DART/Jamaica_release.html
>
> the build process is clearly outlined.
>
> If they take the tutorial ... the use of
>workshop_setup.csh is  clearly outlined.
>
> Letting people bypass these things is NOT the way to
>introduce people  to DART.
> Many times I have shown people who are already using
>DART the release  documentation
> and they have been "surprised" that it exists! This
>KILLS me!
>
> So I am 'all AGAINST' something that will let new users
>do stuff  without knowing
> why they are doing it.
>
> If people are having a hard time finding the
>documentation, that's  one thing.
>
> Tim Hoar, Associate Scientist
> thoar at ucar.edu
> 303 497 1708
>

> On Feb 13, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Hui Liu wrote:
>
>> Nancy et al:
>>
>>   This is very convenient tool!  Is there any similar
>>stuff
>> for splitting some big obs_seq files, say a ten-day file
>>into 10
>> daily files
>> ?
>>   Another thing is should we rename the
>>workshop_setup.csh to a
>> more meaningful name,
>> such as compile_dart.csh?  It is not so straight forward
>>for some
>> new users
>> to understand the meaning of the script.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> hui
>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:08:08 -0700 (MST)
>>  nancy at subversion.ucar.edu wrote:
>>>   [3233] DART/trunk: Major update to merge_obs_seq:
>>>    Revision
>>> 3233 Author nancy Date 2008-02-13 10:08:08 -0700 (Wed,
>>>13 Feb
>>> 2008)   Log Message Major update to merge_obs_seq:   -
>>>can specify
>>> start/end times by namelist   - always sorts
>>>observations by time
>>> in output file   - does not copy over unused
>>>observations   -
>>> added a set of simple tests to check merge code   -
>>>updated doc
>>> and nml files to match   - new support routine in
>>>obs_sequence to
>>> count     number of obs between 2 existing keys
>>> Modified Paths
>>> DART/trunk/obs_sequence/merge_obs_seq.f90
>>> DART/trunk/obs_sequence/merge_obs_seq.nml
>>> DART/trunk/obs_sequence/obs_sequence_mod.f90
>>> DART/trunk/
>>> obs_sequence/obs_sequence_mod.html   Added Paths
>>>   DART/trunk/
>>> models/lorenz_96/tests/
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/README
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.A
>>> DART/trunk/models/
>>> lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.B
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/
>>> obs_seq.C  DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.D
>>> DART/trunk/
>>> models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.E
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/
>>> tests/obs_seq.F
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.G  DART/
>>> trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.L
>>> DART/trunk/models/
>>> lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.M
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/
>>> obs_seq.N  DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.O
>>> DART/trunk/
>>> models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.P
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/
>>> tests/obs_seq.Q
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.R  DART/
>>> trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/test_merge.ksh  Removed
>>>Paths   DART/
>>> trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/README
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/
>>> tests/obs_seq.A
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.B  DART/
>>> trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.C
>>> DART/trunk/models/
>>> lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.D
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/
>>> obs_seq.E  DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.F
>>> DART/trunk/
>>> models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.G
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/
>>> tests/obs_seq.L
>>> DART/trunk/models/lorenz_96/tests/obs_seq.M  DART/