[Cowystats] CO/WY ASA information

Matt Pocernich pocernic at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Mar 23 14:25:24 MDT 2007

#### Keith Baggerly - UCHSC Talk Thurs March 28th-  noon
#### Dr. Jianqing Fan visits CSU April - 2007.
#### ASA Spring Meeting and Chapter Elections

Hi,

We would just like to highlight a couple of interesting talks in the
up coming month.  Next week Dr. Keith Baggerly will be giving a talk at
the UC Health Sciences Center.  Times have yet to be set, but Dr. Fan
from Princeton will be visiting CSU the second week in April and
delivering a series of talks.  We are pointing out some of these talks
to provide an opportunity for people to see talks in areas outside of
their areas of work or study.

Our chapter spring meeting is April 20th in Boulder at NCAR's Mesa
Lab.  Beautiful weather guaranteed.

More information  to follow.

Thanks,

Matt
#############################

Cell Lines, Microarrays, Drugs and Disease: Trying to Predict Response to Chemotherapy UCHSC

Preventive Medicine and Biometrics Seminar, Thurs 3/28 12-1pm
9th Street campus, CPH Auditorium

Keith Baggerly
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

Over the past few years, microarray experiments have
supplied much information about the disregulation of
biological pathways associated with various types of
cancer. Many studies focus on identifying subgroups of
patients with particularly agressive forms of disease,
so that we know who to treat. A corresponding question
is how to treat them. Given the treatment options
available today, this means trying to predict which
chemotherapeutic regimens will be most effective,
which we can attack with microarrays by defining
signatures of drug sensitivity. In establishing such
signatures, we would really like to use samples from
cell lines, as these can (a) be grown in abundance,
(b) be tested with the agents under controlled conditions,
and (c) be assayed without poisoning patients.

Recent studies have suggested how this approach might
work using a widely-used panel of cell lines, the NCI60,
to assemble the response signatures for several drugs.
Unfortunately, ambiguities associated with analyzing the
data have made these results difficult to reproduce.

In this talk, we will discuss the steps involved in
attacking response prediction, and describe how we have
analyzed the data. We will cover some specific ambiguities
we have encountered, and in some cases how these can be
resolved. Finally, we will describe methods for making
such analyses more reproducible, so that progress can
be made more steadily.

http://www.uchsc.edu/maps/9th.htm
The CPH auditorium is next to lot C
http://www.uchsc.edu/facilities/parking/docs/9thmap.pdf

###########################

Dr. Jianqing Fan visits CSU April -2007.

The Department of Statistics at Colorado State is sponsoring a visit
by Dr. Jianqing Fan from Princeton University for a series of talks
the second week in April.  Below is a brief biography on the Dr. Fan
followed by talk titles.  More details will follow.

Jianqing Fan is Frederick L. Moore'18 Professor of Finance and
Director of Committee of Statistical Studies at Princeton University,
and president-elect of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics. He is
the Co-editor (-in-chief) of "The Annals of Statistics" and an
associate editor of  "The Journal of American Statistical Association"
and was an editor of  "Probability Theory and Related Fields"
(2003-2005). After receiving his Ph.D. in Statistics from the
University of California at Berkeley, he has been appointed as an
assistant, associate and full professor at the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill (1989-2003), and as a professor at the
University of California at Los Angeles (1997-2000), a professor of
Statistics and Chairman at the Chinese University of Hong Kong
(2000-2003), and as a professor at the Princeton University
(2003--). He has coauthored two popular books on ``Local Polynomial
Modeling'' (1996) and ``Nonlinear time series: Parametric and
Nonparametric Methods'' (2003) and authored or coauthored over 100
articles on computational biology, financial econometrics,
semiparametric and non-parametric modeling, statistical learning,
nonlinear time series, survival analysis, longitudinal data analysis,
and other aspects of theoretical and methodological statistics. He is
a top 10 highly-cited mathematical scientist between 1991-2001 and
1993-2002, 1994-2004, 1995-2005, 1996-2006 and is an elected follow of
American Associations for Advancement of Science. He won The 2000
COPSS Presidents' Award, given annually to the best statistician under
age 40 worldwide and Humboldt Research Award.

Talk 1: High-dimensional statistical learning and inference
Talk 2: Statistical Analysis of DNA Microarray Data
Talk 3: Option pricing with aggregation of physical models and
statistical learning

### Spring Meeting Friday April 20th.
### National Center for Atmospheric Research - Mesa Lab
### Boulder Colorado

More information  on speakers will be coming soon.  Please mark your
calendar.

****Officer Elections ****

This year there are three Chapter offices open for election:
secretary, newsletter editor and president-elect.  In recent years,
the officers have been operating more like an executive board.  We
meeting a couple times a year but most business using emails.  The
newsletter has been replaced by these emails notes and we have been
using meeting agendas to summarize meetings.  A person serves as
president-elect  for a year before becoming president for a year.
The officers elected will have some additional duties and
opportunities with the JSM being  here in Denver next summer.

If you or someone you know might be interested in being an officer,
please let us know.  The obligations aren't overwhelming but they do
require a steady commitment.

--
Matt Pocernich
Research Applications Laboratory