[Cowystats] CO/WY ASA NEWS

Matt Pocernich pocernic at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Jan 12 13:32:25 MST 2007

## weather and statistics
## biometrics seminar
## in the planning stages
## credit where credit is due.
## high school science fair - statistics award
## spring meeting
## job notices

After a bit of a break, we have begun to actively plan more chapter events.
If you have questions or comments to this note, send the to pocernic at ucar.edu.
Because of the amount of spam, this mailing list address does not accept
incoming messages.

Thanks,

### Weather and statistics  Friday February 23rd - 3 pm Metro State College
Denver
Jointly sponsored by Metro Department of Meteorology, Metro Department of
Statistics and CO/WY ASA.

Statistics has many applications in improving weather forecasts.  Techniques
used to improve forecasts will be discussed.   This talk does not require an
in depth understanding of weather, but rather will be interesting to anyone
who uses statistical models to make forecasts.  More information to be
coming.

###   Keith A. Baggerly from the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
Thurs March 29th: Preventive Medicine and Biometrics Seminar
12-1pm  CPH Auditorium 1J05, 9th St Campus, UCHSC
sponsored with the Bioinformatics Department at the University of Colorado
Health Science Center.
(Abstract to follow)

### Several more events are in the planning stages.  In the works are a
data mining seminar at DU and events at CSU and Colorado School of Mines.
You will be informed as details are available.

### Credit where credit is due.

Organizing seminars and talks takes preparation, effort  and money to
prepare.  By co-hosting or highlighting seminars and talks, our goal is to
make members aware of events happening in the area.  Events are selected
because they may have appeal to people in other areas of statistics.
Additionally, we are happy to highlight programs that are happening in our
regions.  Our goal is not to take credit for work done by others.  If you
have interest or ideas of an event the might be interesting to other
members, please let us know.

###  Volunteers needed to judge at the Colorado State

The Chapter will be offering a series of awards at the state science fair
for projects that exhibit good  use and understanding of statistics.  The
event is April 5 - 7  at Colorado State University in Fort Collins.   We
need 2-3 people to help judge exhibits on Thursday April 6 from
approximately noon to 5 pm.  If you are interested, send a note to
pocernic at ucar.edu.

### Spring Meeting Friday April 20th - NCAR Mesa Lab - beautiful weather
guaranteed.  In addition to several invited speakers, we strongly encourage
students to present their research.  Keep in mind the meeting is a friendly
environment in which to let the local statistics community know what you
have been working on the the last n years.  More details to follow.

### Job opportunities - also see
http://www-math.cudenver.edu/statistics/jobs.shtml

SAS Database Administrator The Colorado Health Institute (CHI) i
http://www.coloradohealthinstitute.org/about_CHI/jobs/jobs.htm

Intern position
Lipper - A Reuters Company focused on
the collection, compilation, analysis and distribution of financial data
covering collective investments (mutual funds, hedge funds, ETFs, UITS,
derivatives, etc) is interested in employing a quantitatively-oriented
intern in its Denver office located at 17th and California.  Flexible
hours are available to meet the needs of a student. The intern should
expect to average 20 hours per week for up to 1,000 hours.  We are
looking for a person pursuing graduate studies, master's level or above,
mentoring will be provided. Knowledge of financial industry a plus but
not required.  Competitive hourly wage. Internship to commence upon
finding the right candidate.  This is a real opportunity to work for and
study at a leader in the financial service industry.

Matt Pocernich
Research Applications Laboratory
(303) 497-8312