[Cosmic_announce] New Inversion Software Bufr Test Files - Feedback Needed

Harald Anlauf Harald.Anlauf at dwd.de
Mon Dec 15 06:01:06 MST 2014

Dear all,

I had a first look at about 8 days worth of the test data and compared
with the COSMIC NRT data we receive via GTS.  Initial impressions are:

- roughly 5% more processed profiles, but slightly less net data in
  lower troposphere (June 1-8).

- bias is changed (mostly improved), notably above 40 km, but also
  in the lower troposphere;

- the rms difference to model background (non-operational NWP model)
  is significantly reduced above 35 km, but also around and slightly
  above tropopause levels; (see attached figure);

- the data contain a new estimate of the observation error given the
  actual circumstances, which is much higher than the previous one,
  and which appears to be very conservative (i.e. too pessimistic).
  This may be an issue for us (DWD).

Is this what we should expect from the new processing?
Is there more documentation, especially on the "similar error
characteristics"?

Thanks,
Harald

--
Dr. Harald Anlauf
Deutscher Wetterdienst (DWD)           | Phone:  +49 69 8062 4941