[CFIC] Request to Director's for CFIC input

Pat Waukau waukau at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 30 12:12:11 MST 2008

TO: UCAR/NCAR/UOP Directors

FROM: Computer Facilities Implementation Committee (CFIC)

SUBJECT:  Request for input to plan development

At the UCAR Management Committee (UMC) meeting in December 2006  the
President's Council (PC) approved the Collocation Facilities Strategic
Plan which outlined a new direction for provisioning infrastructure
for the computational resources of divisions and programs within
the institution.  In April 2007 the PC chartered a follow-on
committee, the Computing Facilities Implementation Committee (CFIC),
to develop the companion document for implementing the strategic plan.
The implementation plan will address technical, financial, organizational
process, governance, and management issues.

With a project of this scope which impacts the entire organization, it
is important that we build consensus on the future direction we will be
taking.  In addition, with the current budget environment, it is equally
important to develop a plan that is fiscally responsible yet will provide
a viable infrastructure for the long-term.  In the coming weeks the CFIC
committee will engage designated staff in discussions related to the
various  aspects of the plan and incorporate their feedback into the final
document. The goal of these interactions is to insure that we take into
account specific needs of the various entities in the plan development.

At this time we are asking you to designate a technical and financial
point of contact to participate in these discussions.  The technical point
of contact should be an individual whose responsibility is the management
and oversight of your existing computational resources, and can provide
insight into the future strategic direction for computing for your entity.
The financial point of contact should be an individual who oversees the
budget for your entity.  Designated individuals can represent one or more
organizational components under your direction as you deem appropriate.
These individuals can determine if additional staff members need to be
included in scheduled meetings depending on the topics being addressed.
It is expected that these individuals will subsequently provide feedback
to you and other staff members, and that as director you will provide the
final response to the plan.  Please submit the names of your designated
individuals to waukau at ucar.edu by Friday, February 8.

For more detail on the progress of the CFIC, go to http://wiki.ucar.edu.
Log in with your UCAS login and password and scroll down to the Computing
Facilities and Implementation Committee link on the left hand side.

On behalf of the committee, thank you for your support.

Pat Waukau

Pat Waukau   waukau at ucar.edu