[CFIC] Draft: Message to Director's

Pat Waukau waukau at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 29 10:34:40 MST 2008

CFIC Members:

Following is a draft message to be sent to all UCAR director's regarding
input to the CFIC plan as discussed at our last meeting.   Please send me
your comments by tomorrow morning.

Thanks, Pat

---

At the UCAR Management Committee (UMC) meeting in December 2006  the President's
Council (PC) approved the Collocation Facilities Strategic Plan which outlined
a new direction for provisioning infrastructure for the computational
resources of divisions and programs within the institution.  In April 2007
the PC chartered a follow-on committee, the Computing Facilities Implementation
Committee (CFIC), to develop the companion document for implementing the
strategic plan.  The implementation plan will address technical, financial,
organizational process, governance, and management issues.

With a project of this scope which impacts the entire organization, it
is important that we build consensus on the future direction we will
be taking.  In addition, with the current budget environment, it is equally
important to develop a plan that is fiscally responsible yet will provide
a viable infrastructure for the long-term.  In the coming weeks the CFIC
committee will engage designated staff in discussions related
to the various  aspects of the plan and incorporate their feedback
into the final document. The goal of these interactions is to insure
that we take into account specific needs of the various entities in the
plan development.

At this time we are asking you to designate a technical and financial
point of contact for your division/program.   The technical point of
contact should be an individual whose responsibility is the management
and oversight of your existing computational resources, and can provide
insight into the future strategic direction for computing for your entity.
The administrative point of contact should be an individual who oversees
the budget for your entity.  These individuals can determine if additional
staff members need to be included in scheduled meetings depending on the
topics being addressed.  It is expected that both of these individuals
will subsequently provide feedback to you and other staff members,
and that as director you will provide the final response to the plan.
Please submit the names of your designated individuals to waukau at ucar.edu
by Monday, February 4.

For more detail on the progress of the CFIC, go to http://wiki.ucar.edu.
Log in with your UCAS login and password and scroll down to the Computing
Facilities and Implementation Committee link on the left hand side.

On behalf of the committee, thank you for your support.

Pat Waukau

Pat Waukau   waukau at ucar.edu