[CFIC] Re: CFIC: Governance and Management

Lance Jones lj at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 14 15:22:44 MST 2008

General comments:

1) The responsibility for final approval of policies isn't sufficiently
clear.  Although it makes sense that proposed policies can (and usually
will) originate in the mgmt group, debate and final approval should
happen at the governance group.  This makes sense because...
2) The mgmt group as described essentially maps to CISL.  There could
easily be the perception of a conflict of interest in the combination of
CISL being manager of, user of, and potentially policy decider of the
colo spaces.  Further...
3) The perceived conflict can further be reduced by including some form
of technical representation in the mgmt group from the various users of
the space: NCAR, UOP, etc.  In other words, the Gov group can have more
confidence that the procedures, standards, and proposed policies have
some significant level of consensus(*) across the organization.

Fourth page, second to last paragraph: who will be picking up 50% of the
techs and operator salaries?  What sort of monitoring, installation,
removal will these personnel do, and of whose equipment?

lj