[CFIC] Re: Update on CFIC Implementation Plan

Pat Waukau waukau at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 4 14:50:29 MST 2008

Rick,

Wishing you and the members of the President's Council a Happy New Year
as well!   With the present budget situation your leadership will be
critical in guiding the organization through this difficult period.

Thank you for your candid comments regarding the progress of the
Collocation Facilities Implementation Plan.  Underlying our stated reasons
for extending the time frame to complete the plan was our recognition
that we were not effectively communicating the necessary information
to those who would be directly affected by the change.  In addition,
during meetings with these groups technical and financial issues were
brought up which will need to be addressed in more detail.  That said in
this fiscally constrained time we will need to navigate a balance between
what is critical to the successful provision of  collocation facilities
versus what is desirable but not necessarily required.  In addition, we
will develop alternate scenarios dependent on the final resolution
of the Wyoming data center.

With regards to the requested position for a collocation facility manager
in the FY09 budget and the addition of two part time positions for
technical and operational support in FY10, we will table these requests
at this time.  This would be with the understanding that once the final
plan is approved, these positions would be reconsidered for inclusion
in the budget. Since the final plan will include computing space growth
and equipment replacement needs there will be financial impacts to the
various groups.  It is important to note, that the current plan includes
a cost allocation methodology that will recover costs for the creation
and management of these facilities, along with actual utility usage,
from the divisions and programs.  Costs would be allocated proportional
to an individual groups usage.

The committee has developed an Action Plan for revision and completion
of the Collocation Facilities Implementation Plan and posted a revised
time line on the wiki site.  We anticipate having the final document
available for review in the March time frame.  If you need any additional
information, please contact me.

On behalf of the committee membership, thank you for your support.

Pat

Pat Waukau   waukau at ucar.edu