[CFIC] CFIC: Draft response to Rick

Pat Waukau waukau at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 4 09:54:19 MST 2008

CFIC Members:

Following is a draft of my response to Rick's email.  I would appreciate
comments by early this afternoon, so that I can send it out to
Rick by the end of today.

Thanks, Pat

Rick,

Wishing you and the members of the President's Council a
Happy New Year as well!   With the present budget situation your leadership
will be critical in guiding the organization through this difficult period.

Thank you for your candid comments regarding the progress of the
Collocation Facilities Implementation Plan.  Underlying our stated reasons
for extending the time frame to complete the plan was our recognition
that we were not effectively communicating the necessary information
to those who would be directly affected by the change.  In addition,
during meetings with these groups technical and financial issues were
brought up which will need to be addressed in more detail.  That said in
this fiscally constrained time we will need to navigate a balance between
what is critical to the successful provision of  collocation facilities
versus what is desirable but not necessarily required.  In addition, we
will develop alternate scenarios dependendent on the final resolution
of the Wyoming data center.

With regards to the requested position for a collocation facility
manager in the FY09 budget and the addition of two part time positions
for technical and operational support in FY10, we will table these
requests at this time with the understanding that with approval of the
final plan, which will include financial impacts to the various groups,
that these positions would be reconsidered for inclusion in the budget.
However, I think it is important to note, that the current plan includes
a cost allocation methodology that will recover costs for the creation
and management of these facilities, along with actual utility usage,
from the divisions and programs.  Costs would be allocated proportional
to an individual groups usage.

The committee has developed an Action Plan for revision and completion
of the Collocation Facilities Implementation Plan and posted a revised
timeline on the wiki site.  We anticipate having the final document
available for review in the March time frame.  If you need any additional
information, please contact me.

Thank you for your support.

Pat

Pat Waukau   waukau at ucar.edu