[CFIC] Implementation Q&A concern

Pat Waukau waukau at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 24 16:51:05 MDT 2008

CFIC Members:

A concern has been raised regarding the response to the following question
regarding existing computer rooms, specifically with regard to the
phrase "but these requirements will need to clearly articulated."  It is
believed that the divisions/programs should not be required to justify
the need to retain existing space. However, should they decide to do so
they would still incur the .1% increase in the overhead rate.  I would
like to hear thoughts on this and will adjust the text accordingly.

Can they still be maintained at the cost of the divisions? Can we use
both our divisional computer room and put some overflow and backup
systems in collocation facilities?

The organizational strategy is to phase out many of these
rooms. Continuing to maintain both division rooms and collocation
facilities is not feasible from a financial perspective. It is understood
that there may be programmatic needs for having some systems in close
proximity, but these requirements will need to clearly articulated. The
intent is to have the majority of systems in collocation facilities.

Pat Waukau   waukau at ucar.edu