[CFIC] CFIC Message to President's Council

Pat Waukau waukau at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 7 13:00:46 MST 2007

CFIC Members:

After yesterday's unexpected, but very necessary discussion, it
became clear that we have some work ahead of us in order to produce
a cohesive and complete document.   To that end I believe it would
be appropriate to send a message to the President's Council with
a status update and revised timeline.  Following is a first draft
of that update.  Please send me your comments.  I would like to send
it out early next week.

That said I have concerns that with the extension to complete the
document that committee tasks will be put on the back burner until we
approach another deadline.  I open to suggestions on how we can keep
things moving forward.

I've incorporated cost items from Marion's email in the Financial
Information document on the main page of the twiki.  I've added another
document Additional Information needed on the same page.  Add items
to either as they occur to you.

Thanks, Pat

*********

President's Council Members:

Following a recent review of the draft Collocation Facilities
Implemention Plan, it became clear that we were missing critical
financial and technical information that would produce a more cohesive and
complete document.  In addition, due to recent changes in our proposed
infrastructure buildout, and competing project deadlines encountered by
the external consulting firm that is preparing the site feasibility study,
that report will be unavailable until later this month.

In order to effectively gather and incorporate the necessary financial
and technical information required with the personnel resources available
and collectively review the site feasibilty study, the committee will
need additional time to produce the final report, with the expectation
of delivering the final report in the February/March 2008 timeframe.
If the President's Council approves this extension, it is possible
that the final report will not be available for review prior to budget
discussions for FY09.  Should that be the case the committee requests
that a placeholder be included in the budget for a collocation facility
manager position in the FY09 budget. If in its final review, the
President's Council chooses not to move forward with the Collocations
Facilities Implementation Plan the position could be removed from the budget.

Should the President's Council wish to discuss this further, please feel free
to contact me.

Thanks, Pat

Pat Waukau   waukau at ucar.edu