[CESElist] Earth System Science Certification Program

Comer, Chris Chris.Comer at tea.state.tx.us
Mon Jul 30 12:53:49 MDT 2007

Hi All,

All of Texas' high school courses have a 40% lab requirement making all
high school science courses lab based.  During State Board of Education
discussion on the merits of an earth based science course in high
school, one particular group argued that earth science was not lab based
and urged that an ESS course should not take the place of Biology,
Chemistry and Physics.  ESS in Texas will be offered as a fourth-year
science "capstone" course that will have a pre-requisite of B,C,P.  The
SBOE asked where the term "capstone course" had been coined.  We
referred them to AAAS Benchmarks for Science Literacy.  All along, Earth
Science Taskforce groups in Texas referred to ESS as essential to
science literacy and used NRC's National Science Standards and the AAAS
Science for All Americans as landmark documents for such thinking.

Prior to ESS, we have had elective earth based science courses such as
Astronomy, Aquatic Science, Environmental Systems, and Geology,
Meteorology & Oceanography (GMO) that have all been lab based courses
(Kathy Ellins and her group did a fabulous job of providing pd on this
for Texas teachers).  We proved that GMO required skills and knowledge
of lab procedures in order to meet the standards for the course.  The
new ESS course will take the place of GMO and will incorporate space-age
technology and rigorous mathematics in lab situations.

A national group of Earth Science leaders was convened in Austin to
provide guidelines for courses in ESS and the report is to be published
soon.  This guidelines document will further delineate the rigor of an
ESS course and the ties to lab situations that will prepare students for
future leadership in ESS.

I hope this helps,

CC

Chris Castillo Comer