[CESElist] Fall AGU session on citizen science

Eldridge Moores moores at geology.ucdavis.edu
Fri Aug 3 14:02:21 MDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

For your interest, I attach a speech by Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao on
June 19.  It has been published in the June issue of "Episodes".  In
it he speaks to many of the issues that we are discussing.

Regards,

Eldridge

  On Aug 3, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Sandra Henderson wrote:

> Hello Colleagues,
>
> I'd like to take this opportunity to inform you of a special session
> at the AGU Fall Meeting on Citizen Science in the Geosciences.
> Please visit
>
> http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm07/?
> content=search&show=detail&sessid=348
>
> for more details.
>

> The deadline for abstract submittal is September 6, 2007.
>
> Session Title: Citizen Science in the Geosciences: Engaging the
> Public in Research
>
> Session Description:
>
> This session will focus on best practices and lessons learned from
> successful citizen science and public engagement events that
> promote greater understanding of geoscience content and protocols.
>
> In recent years, there has been a proliferation of programs and
> projects designed to connect researchers with interested members of
> the public who collect data following defined research protocols.
> Although not new, citizen science efforts are rapidly evolving.
> The Internet has made participation in citizen science efforts
> accessible to a wide-spread audience of interested lay persons.  As
> a result, tens of thousands of citizen scientists have contributed
> to a variety of research projects in the geosciences in recent years.
>
> As citizen science efforts expand and evolve, we need to learn more
> about how to design, implement, and evaluate such programs on the
> local, regional, national, and international level.  We need a
> better understanding of how to successfully address the challenges
> of language and culture in citizen science events that are
> international in scope. Submissions that address citizen science
> planning, marketing, recruiting, web site design, data entry, data
> quality control, coordination and management, communication between
> participants and researchers, project evaluation, and final
> reporting back to participants are encouraged.  Papers are
> encouraged that represent the diversity of participants found in
> citizen science efforts including K-12 school groups, informal
> science centers, communities, universities, and laboratories.
> More than simply reporting about individual citizen science
> projects and programs, this session will highlight research-based
> lessons learned including successful strategies associated with the
> development of scientifically valid protocols used by citizen
> scientists locally, regionally, and internationally.
>
> Conveners:
>
> Sandra Henderson
> UCAR Office of Education and Outreach
> PO Box 3000
> Boulder, CO 80307
> 303 497 8108  voice
> 303 497 2598  fax
>

> Roberta Johnson
> UCAR Office of Education and Outreach
> PO Box 3000
> Boulder, CO 80307
> 303 497 2591  voice
> 303 497 2598  fax
>

> --
> [...]

Eldridge M. Moores, Ph.D., D.Sc
Distinguished Professor Emeritus
Vice President, International Union of Geological Sciences
Geology Department
One Shields Avenue
University of California
Davis, CA 95616-8605 USA