[CESElist] Statistics Comparing Numbers of "ES" Majors?

Amy Stevermer asteverm at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 3 13:20:37 MDT 2007

The AGI report for undergraduate enrollments can be found at
http://www.earthscienceworld.org/careers/gw-06-001.pdf

The report is based on a survey of 312 geoscience departments
nationally, which found that, overall, 2.7% of undergraduates enroll in
a college-level introductory geoscience course. I have not seen reports
of college-level enrollments by state, and even if those data are
available, a bit of caution might be required in trying to match HS
enrollment numbers with college enrollment statistics without knowing
the percentage of in-state vs out-of-state students in the college
population or having some idea of the percentages of geoscience-bound
students who choose out-of-state vs in-state schools.

Also, though some may argue, I would emphasize that Earth system science
knowledge prepares students for a range of opportunities and challenges
in the 21st century workforce, broader than simply encouraging more
geoscience majors who will pursue careers in the field (though that is
certainly a potential and also important outcome).

Cheers,

Amy

--B_3268983397_13882344

On 8/2/07 8:37 AM, "Kovach, Russell" <Russell.Kovach at hcps.org> wrote:

> I am curious... is anybody aware of studies done comparing the number of
> Geology / Meteorology / Astronomy / Oceanography majors from states like =
NY or
> NC with compulsory Earth Science to states that do not have such a course
> requirement?=20

Russell & others,

First, although a very large portion of the students take it,  ES as a
separate course is not required in NY. I explained this is an earlier post.
The person who spearheaded the NC program (which I think may be a required
course, but not necessarily on a par with the other high school sciences) i=
Bill Tucci. Bill taught ES many years in New York prior to moving to NC. I
think Bill has now moved to another position in NC.

AGI may have the statistics you seek.

Steve Kluge at Fox lane HS in Bedford NY is distinguished by the number of
his former students who went on in the geosciences. Steve has even hosted
reunions of his students at GSA meetings. Steve is an excellent example of
how a dedicated teacher can influence the professional choices of his
students.

Tom
########################
Thomas McGuire
DLESE Listserv Moderator
Earth Science Educator & Author
Cave Creek, AZ

=B3If we intend to live on this planet....
             we truly need to understand how it works.=B2

--B_3268983397_13882344

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [CESElist] Statistics Comparing Numbers of &quot;ES&quot; Majors=
?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 8/2/07 8:37 AM, &quot;Kovach, Russell&quot; &lt;Russell.Kovach at hcps.org&=
gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana=
, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:14.0px'>I am curious... is anybod=
y aware of studies done comparing the number of Geology / Meteorology / Astr=
onomy / Oceanography majors from states like NY or NC with compulsory Earth =
Science to states that do not have such a course requirement? <BR>
</SPAN></FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS,=
 Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:14.0px'><BR>
Russell &amp; others,<BR>
<BR>
First, although a very large portion of the students take it, &nbsp;ES as a=
 separate course is not required in NY. I explained this is an earlier post.=
 The person who spearheaded the NC program (which I think may be a required =
course, but not necessarily on a par with the other high school sciences) is=
 Bill Tucci. Bill taught ES many years in New York prior to moving to NC. I =
think Bill has now moved to another position in NC.<BR>
<BR>
AGI may have the statistics you seek.<BR>
<BR>
Steve Kluge at Fox lane HS in Bedford NY is distinguished by the number of =
his former students who went on in the geosciences. Steve has even hosted re=
unions of his students at GSA meetings. Steve is an excellent example of how=
 a dedicated teacher can influence the professional choices of his students.=
<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Tom<=

</SPAN></FONT><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">#=
#######################<BR>
Thomas McGuire<BR>
DLESE Listserv Moderator<BR>
Earth Science Educator &amp; Author<BR>
Cave Creek, AZ<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800000"><BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080"><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial">=
<I>&#8220;If we intend to live on this planet....<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;we truly need to understand how it works.&#8221;<BR>
</I></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><BR>
</FONT></SPAN><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:14.0px'><BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>