[CESElist] Statistics Comparing Numbers of "ES" Majors?

Karsten, Jill L. jkarsten at nsf.gov
Thu Aug 2 12:59:37 MDT 2007

I have been following this dialog with interest, but have not had an
opportunity to weigh in, due to other things that keep showing up on my
desk.  I do, however, want to add in some information that is pertinent
to Eldridge's nice summary below:

1) The GEO community should certainly focus on having geoscience
coursework at the high school level be accepted as a graduation
requirement, laboratory science, and/or acceptable university admission
criterion, but we are too small of a community to foment some of the big
changes really needed.  I think it is thus important that we try to
piggyback on some of the science education reform efforts that have been
catalyzed by the Rising Above the Gathering Storm report, which is being
pursued rather aggressively.  If you are not aware of the upcoming
conference on "Chaning the Course of Science Education" in late October,
sponsored by the National Science Resources Center, you might want to
check it out.
http://www.nationalsciencesresourcescenter.org/pdf/07_fall_CC_mainpage.p
df
More importantly, there is an invitation only conference going on a
month before that is co-sponsored by the CCSSO.
http://www.nationalsciencesresourcescenter.org/pdf/2007_fall_CCSSO_main.
pdf

2) I think an additional point we should all be making is that
geoscience, which is commonly taught at middle school, serves as a
'gatekeeper' to student interest in pursuing high school science, and
thus is relevant to the discussions about general STEM education reform
- the physics, chemistry, and biology communities should care about the
quality of geoscience education at the middle school level because it
directly affects the attitudes of the students who enter their classes.
Another important point has to do with 21st century workforce skills -
Earth system science education and inquiry-based education, which is a
forte of ESS, are highly relevant to what employers say they need.

3) Re. California:  NSF has supported a pilot collaboration between
Wendy Van Norden and Ray Ingersoll that has created an Honors level high
school Earth System Science class for which students at her (private)
high school who will be given UCLA credit - early going, but perhaps a
model for beginning to change practice in California?  And TERC has also
been working on Honors level classwork, with labs - we need to push to
disseminate these, when they are mature.

4) Re. inquiry:  As long as we are in a NCLB environment of
accountability, there is going to be push-back on trying to get more
inquiry in the classroom, in spite of the fact that everyone knows it is
the right way to go.  We should be getting our ducks in a row so we can
pounce in a (hopefully) more favorable environment post 2008.

5) There is currently about $27 million in the FY08 House appropriations
bill to support climate change education (it would be going to NSF,
NOAA, and NASA).  The agencies are currently trying to figure out how
they might coordinate such efforts and quickly implement programs,
should that money actually survive the appropriations process.  So,
Eldridge is absolutely correct - we have some real opportunity right
now, and I truly believe the community needs to be well-aligned to
capitalize on it.  We need to have common talking points, a clear battle
plan and implementation strategy for focusing on those key issues where
we can have some impact for the GEO community (e.g., the UC system
framework docouments), and some heroes who are looking for ways we can
capitalize on the bigger STEM reform efforts.

Cheers,
Jill

Jill Karsten, Ph.D.
Program Director, Diversity and Education
Office of the Assistant Director
Geosciences Directorate
National Science Foundation
(703) 292-8500 (voice)