[CESElist] Earth System Science Certification Program

Eldridge Moores moores at geology.ucdavis.edu
Wed Aug 1 00:21:58 MDT 2007

Dear Paula et al.,

Yes, it is true that there is a problem with the UC system and its
acceptance of Earth and Space Sciences as a laboratory science for
admission.  I've been working on this issue for about 3 years, and
it's making slow progress.  For your information, here is a version
of the the "talking points" I have sent to various UC Academic Senate
committees.  In the UC system, it is the faculty, acting through the
Academic Senate, which makes the decisions about admissions
requirements.  And the UC system is the basic "carburetor" for the
entire State of California.  To change the system in California, one
has to change the opinions of the UC faculty.  If you know of any,
please let them know!

Best regards,

Eldridge
On Jul 31, 2007, at 9:44 PM, Paula Messina wrote:

Eldridge M. Moores, Ph.D., D.Sc
Distinguished Professor Emeritus
Vice President, International Union of Geological Sciences
Geology Department
One Shields Avenue
University of California
Davis, CA 95616-8605 USA