CEDAR email: 2024 HamSCI Workshop – Call for Abstracts

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D. nathaniel.frissell at scranton.edu
Thu Jan 25 11:47:26 MST 2024

Dear CEDAR Community,

The 7th Annual HamSCI Workshop will be held March 22-23, 2024 in-person at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio and virtually on Zoom. Abstract submission is now open, and I invite you to submit an abstract and join us for this exciting workshop! This workshop is also very student and citizen scientist friendly. The abstract submission form and more details are available at https://hamsci.org/hamsci2024.

The primary objective of the HamSCI workshop is to bring together the amateur radio community and professional scientists, and the theme of the 2024 HamSCI Workshop is “Alignments” - between the Sun, Moon, and Earth; between collegiate amateur radio recreation and STEM curriculum; between data collection and analysis; between professional and citizen science. We are preparing for the solar eclipse of 8 April 2024, for which Cleveland will be in totality. While HamSCI’s main focus is ionospheric and radio science, we welcome presentations from all related parts of the Coupled Geospace System, including the sun, solar wind, magnetosphere, neutral atmosphere, and more.

This year, we have three invited speakers. Dr. Scott McIntosh, NCAR Deputy Director, will be giving the keynote address on Solar Cycle 25. Dr. Kate Zawdie of NRL will be giving the invited scientist tutorial on High Frequency Radio Ionospheric Raytracing. Mr. Phil Karn, KA9Q, will be giving the invited amateur radio tutorial. His talk will be on the KA9Q Software Defined Radio platform, an efficient multi-channel SDR system designed to run on conventional CPUs.

We are grateful to the National Science Foundation and ARDC for support of this workshop, and to NASA for Citizen Science funding of HamSCI projects. Travel support for this workshop is available through the NSF and ARDC grants based on programmatic and financial need. Please e-mail me at nathaniel.frissell at scranton.edu for more information.

Very 73 (Ham Radio for “Best Wishes”)
de Nathaniel W2NAF and the HamSCI Workshop 2024 Committee

Nathaniel A. Frissell, Ph.D., W2NAF
nathaniel.frissell at scranton.edu
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Engineering