CEDAR email: New journal article on SABER Instrument

Mlynczak, Martin G. (LARC-E302) m.g.mlynczak at nasa.gov
Tue Nov 28 08:52:21 MST 2023

CEDAR Community:

I’d like to inform you of a new paper containing a comprehensive description of the SABER instrument on the NASA TIMED satellite. The citation and link to the paper is:

Esplin, R., Mlynczak, M. G., Russell, J., Gordley, L., & The SABER Team. (2023). Sounding of the Atmosphere using Broadband Emission Radiometry (SABER): Instrument and science measurement description. Earth and Space Science, 10, e2023EA002999. https://doi.org/10.1029/2023EA002999.

The author list recognizes “The SABER Team” comprised of more than 70 co-authors who participated in the development, testing, and validation of the SABER instrument. I invite the community to download the paper, read it in depth, and to see the extensive level of design and fabrication excellence that resulted in the SABER instrument that will mark 22 years in orbit on December 7, 2023.

In future publications with SABER data, I would request that this new paper be cited along with the historical citation describing SABER and preliminary calibration results:

Overview of the SABER experiment and preliminary calibration results (1999). J. M. Russell III, M. G. Mlynczak, L. L. Gordley, J. J. Tansock, Jr., and R. W. Esplin, Proc. SPIE 3756, 277, DOI:10.1117/12.366382<doi:10.1117/12.366382>.

Thanks to everyone for their continued interest in SABER. Please contact me if you have any questions about the new publication.

Sincerely

Marty Mlynczak
SABER Principal Investigator
m.g.mlynczak at nasa.gov<mailto:m.g.mlynczak at nasa.gov>