CEDAR email: URSI AT-RASC session GH02 : The high latitude atmosphere

Liliana Macotela Cruz elmc23 at bath.ac.uk
Mon Nov 20 04:52:55 MST 2023

Dear CEDAR community,

The 4th URSI Atlantic Radio Science Meeting - 2024 (URSI AT-RASC 2024) will be held during 19 - 24 May, 2024.

We would like to draw your attention to the URSI AT-RASC 2024 session "GH session: The high latitude atmosphere". Information regarding the session is provided below. We hope you consider contributing and submit an abstract. Abstracts are due on 20 January 2024.

Session
GH02 : The high latitude atmosphere
Abstract submission link: https://www.eventure-online.com/eventure/login.form?A366e99a4-33f8-4841-9ec7-6fb8257a111f

Session description
The use of a multi-disciplinary and multi-instruments approach, with the aid of modelling efforts, is imperative to advance the current knowledge of the high-latitude atmosphere, including the ionosphere, and geospace. Some of the outstanding scientific questions within atmospheric and space physics, are:

1. How are different atmospheric layers coupled in the polar regions?
2. How does the upper polar atmosphere, i.e., mesosphere, thermosphere and ionosphere, respond to increased geomagnetic activity, including energy transfer from space?
3. How does the whole polar atmosphere impact short- and long-term climate variations?

Answering these questions will not only have implications on the understanding of processes in the polar atmosphere, but it will also greatly improve our understanding of the global atmospheric dynamics. We welcome contributions that help to answer the outstanding scientific questions related to the whole-atmosphere coupling, space weather influences and whole atmosphere response to climate change. We also welcome presentation and discussion of existing and planned instrumentation at high-latitudes and space-borne sensors.

Conveners
Liliana Macotela (UoB, UK)
Lucilla Alfonsi (INGV, Italy)
Jyrki Manninen (SGO, Finland)