CEDAR email: ANSWERS Student Workshop (July 17, 2023)

Xian Lu xianl at clemson.edu
Wed Jun 28 13:22:46 MDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

Hope everyone is enjoying CEDAR! We would like to draw your attention to a NSF/ANSWERS student online workshop that is being hosted by Clemson University on July 17, 2023.
We welcome students’ participation from the CEDAR community to contribute presentations of their work. Comprehensive tutorials will be offered on subjects related to space weather driven from both below and above.

ANSWERS Student Workshop
Impacts of Atmospheric Waves and Geomagnetic Disturbances on Quiet-time and Storm-time Space Weather
Online (Zoom link):  https://clemson.zoom.us/j/8111381902

Space weather refers to the dynamic changes in near-Earth space caused by complex Sun--Earth interactions. Space weather can pose hazards to electric power grids, telecommunications, spacecraft operations, and astronaut health.

The goal of this ANSWERS project is to advance our understanding of how the Earth's Ionosphere-Thermosphere (IT) system changes due to the combined effects of magnetospheric forcing and forcing from the Earth's lower atmosphere, including extreme weather events such as tornadoes, and space storms.

Understanding IT system variability is an essential element to predict space weather. Extensive historical and ongoing observational data and state-of-the-art weather and geospace models are being used in this investigation.

The goal of this workshop is to facilitate graduate and and undergraduate participation in this research by providing a forum for students to present their own work relevant to space weather impacts and give students an opportunity to learn from tutorials given by the ANSWERS team members and invited speakers.

Open for registration

Registration link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScT0JXqzq18bp6aoYv-k_oUXRi5cQBj1UdyQ55Gmyqv9Biu_Q/viewform?usp=sf_link

We look forward to seeing you there,
Xian