CEDAR email: ESWW2023 Plenary session P01 on "Pathways to sustainable space weather and space climate activities": Call for submissions

Maxime Grandin maxime.grandin at helsinki.fi
Wed Jun 21 09:55:32 MDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to Plenary session P01 on "Pathways
to sustainable space weather and space climate activities" during the
European Space Weather Week (ESWW), which will be held in Toulouse
(France) on 20-24 November 2023. It will be a fully hybrid conference.

Abstract submission is now open. The deadline for submitting abstracts
with a wish for an oral presentation is on Thu, 29 June. Past this
deadline, it will be possible to submit an abstract for a poster until
10 September.

Information and abstract submission via the ESWW2023 website:
https://esww2023.org/plenary-session-description.

P01 session description: With space weather and space climate, we seek
to understand and mitigate the adverse effects of the space environment
on human activities. However, there is a growing awareness of the
reverse effect: our activities have a significant impact on the
environment in terms of carbon footprint, resource consumption,
biodiversity loss and, more globally, the impact of humans on the
terrestrial and space environments. These impacts increasingly threaten
the sustainability of our activities in space, and human society as a
whole. In this session, we invite scientists and stakeholders to share
their perception of these critical issues and to present solutions that
will allow science to advance in a world of limited resources, without
compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. The
goal is to address the diagnosis (how we are impacting the environment),
the solutions that have been developed, and the lessons learned. The
session will consist of a number of invited and contributed
presentations. A non-exhaustive list of topics includes: the carbon
footprint of research activities and research infrastructure, light
pollution of the sky, dealing with the growing amount of space debris,
instrument development and life cycle-assessment with limited resources,
and more.

This plenary session is organised by the European Space Weather and
Space Climate Association (E-SWAN) Working Group on Sustainability
(WG8-SUST). More information on WG8-SUST:
https://eswan.aeronomie.be/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&layout=edit&id=163.

Looking forward to your submissions!

Best regards,
Rui Pinto, Maxime Grandin and Sophie Chabanski, on behalf of WG8-SUST of
E-SWAN