CEDAR email: One week remaining to submit abstracts to AGU23

Caitano da Silva caitano.dasilva at nmt.edu
Wed Jul 26 10:38:02 MDT 2023

Dear Colleague,

There is one week remaining to submit abstracts to AGU23. We invite all Lightning Physics enthusiasts to submit an abstract to our session. Details below.

Title: AE007 - Physics of Streamers, Leaders, and the Lightning Discharge: High-Resolution Observations and Modeling

Description: Lightning is comprised of a variety of processes over a multitude of scales including the initial breakdown stage, fast streamer-based breakdown, leader steps, space stems and space leaders, needles from the lateral surface of hot leader cores, recoil leaders, return strokes, and M-components. Lightning channels promote energy exchange between plasma and neutral atmosphere generating reactive chemical species that drive atmospheric chemistry. In recent years, substantial instrumentation advances have been made in optical, radio-frequency, and energetic radiation imaging of the lightning channels' initiation, propagation, and attachment to ground structures, as well as the return stroke and the subsequent processes taking place inside its decaying channels. Additionally, theoretical modeling of streamers, leaders, and the return stroke has evolved to a stage where direct comparisons between model and observations are now possible. We seek abstracts on natural and laboratory observations, modeling, and theoretical efforts dedicated to advancing our community’s understanding of lightning physics.

Location: AGU23 will take place this coming December 11-15 in San Francisco, CA, USA & online

Submit an abstract to this session: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm23/prelim.cgi/Session/184298

Abstract submission deadline: Wednesday, August 2, 2023, at 23:59 Eastern Time.

Conveners:
Caitano da Silva, New Mexico Tech
Dongshuai Li, Technical University of Denmark
Julia Tilles, Sandia National Labs
Phillip Bitzer, University of Alabama in Huntsville

Sincerely,

Caitano L. da Silva

Associate Professor of Physics
New Mexico Tech