CEDAR email: AGU 2023 - SA012: Long-Term Change in Geospace – The Next Frontier in Climate Science

Nikoukar, Romina Romina.Nikoukar at jhuapl.edu
Tue Jul 25 15:15:55 MDT 2023

Dear Colleagues.

This year, the hybrid Fall AGU annual meeting will take place in San Francisco, CA, USA, and online - 11-15 December 2023.

We invite you to submit an abstract to session “SA012:  Long Term Change in Geospace – The Next Frontier in Climate Science”, which is intended to bring together various aspects of the emerging field of long-term change in Geospace, the region from the upper mesosphere to the exobase. Papers on all aspects of Geospace change are welcome. Full session details are below.

To submit an abstract to our session, please go to:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm23/sa/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=185428

You may need to log in first. Then click on “Submit an Abstract to this Session.” Please note that the deadline for submissions is: 02 August 2023 23:59 EDT - 03 August 2023 03:59 GMT/UT; the full Fall AGU 2023 Meeting details are here: https://www.agu.org/fall-meeting<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.agu.org%2Ffall-meeting&data=05%7C01%7Cm.g.mlynczak%40nasa.gov%7Cdb7fba4de46645e9740408db86b0f3b2%7C7005d45845be48ae8140d43da96dd17b%7C0%7C0%7C638251866802545240%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=ePSnaHRErMl9q3ApHknyfzJPAPG0aMVGneQQv8ILq3U%3D&reserved=0>.

We look forward to seeing you either in person or virtually in and from San Francisco in December,
Romina Nikoukar (on behalf of all the SA012 Session Convenors).
SA012: Long-Term Change in Geospace – The Next Frontier in Climate Science. Cross-listed with SY, GC, and A.

Geospace, the region of Earth’s atmosphere from the mesosphere to the exobase, is experiencing long-term change due to increasing carbon dioxide. These effects have been predicted for several decades and are now becoming apparent in multiple data records. The cooling of Geospace is anticipated to result in a contraction of the atmosphere and result in a permanent reduction of density at fixed altitude. Variable solar activity complicates the assessment of Geospace change. The ongoing change in Geospace has implications for the growing space economy, international space policy and law, and the space insurance industry. We welcome papers on all topics related to Geospace change. In particular, we solicit papers related to numerical/computer modeling of the effects of long-term change, observation requirements, and new technologies for systematic investigation of Geospace change. We particularly welcome contributions from members of the space industry to discuss their needs for knowledge of Geospace change.

Marty Mlynczak, NASA Langley Research Center, Primary Convenor.
Juan A Anel Cabanelas, University of Vigo, Co-convenor.
Shaylah Mutschler, Space Environment Technologies, Co-convenor.
Romina Nikoukar, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, Co-convenor.