CEDAR email: AGU Call for Abstracts - ≥3D: Virtual Reality, MR/AR, and Sonification Tools to Showcase and Explore Multidimensional Data in Earth and Space Science

Kristina Collins kvc2 at case.edu
Mon Jul 24 11:00:00 MDT 2023

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to call your attention to our upcoming session at the 2023
Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union, “IN001 - ≥3D: Virtual
Reality, MR/AR, and Sonification Tools to Showcase and Explore
Multidimensional Data in Earth and Space Science.” We hope that you will
consider submitting an abstract. We want to promote all aspects of the
intersection between XR and earth science, including technology development
as well as specific applications and technology demos.

The AGU Fall Meeting will be held at Moscone Center in San Francisco,
December 11-15 2023. Meeting registration information is available here:
https://www.agu.org/Fall-Meeting/Pages/Attend/Register
Registration is required to present at the conference.

Session information can be found here:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm23/prelim.cgi/Session/185935

Abstracts are due by Wednesday, 2 August 2023.

Session Abstract:

The value of ≥3D visualization in science is well-established and widely
appreciated, yet a cohesive set of best practices for moving from
scientific data to virtual, mixed or augmented reality visualizations has
yet to emerge. The same is true of data sonification, which has been used
in several fields but is rarely considered as part of the scientist's
toolkit for data expression. This session will bring together practitioners
who have used ≥3D visualization techniques in research and education
contexts. We seek demonstrations, methods and discussions of how ≥3D
visualization, including sonification and haptics, is used to explore and
express data; how these experiences can be accessible, available, and
adaptable; and how to bridge the gap from demonstrations to everyday tools.
We particularly welcome live demos - bring a headset! - including Valve
Index, Microsoft Hololens, HTC Vive, Quest Pro, Google Cardboard,
holographic projection, binaural sound, stereoscopic images, or mobile AR.

We hope you can join us in San Francisco!

Best regards,

Kristina, Alex and Jaime