CEDAR email: Resolute Bay ISR status update

Asti Bhatt asti.bhatt at sri.com
Tue Dec 5 15:50:08 MST 2023

Dear colleagues,

We are glad to report that RISR-N (Resolute Bay Incoherent Scatter Radar, North face) is operational after a year's hiatus. This hiatus was due to the fire at the Resolute Bay Observatory (RBO) in September 2022 that destroyed critical radar instrumentation and auxiliary instruments hosted by the RBO. At the moment, RISR-N is operating without continuous site power at RBO, which means that we cannot host auxiliary instrumentation just yet. We are cautiously monitoring the radar operations during these extreme winter months in northern Canada, during which the radar instrumentation and power generators have to endure a cold soak between radar runs. We did run the RISR-N during the recent storm event between Nov 30-Dec 4. Note that owing to the remoteness of the site, the processed data are available a couple of months after the run.

Barring any mishap, we are planning to run RISR-N for 7-10 consecutive days per month, and will try to accommodate geomagnetic activity predictions and experiment requests. Please reach out to me if you have specific experiment request (ideally by the 25th of the previous month) for RISR-N. In absence of specific requests, we will run a generic mode that spans both E- and F-region with a reasonable spatial resolution.

If you have any questions, concerns or feedback, feel free to send me an email or talk during AGU next week.

Thanks,
Asti