CEDAR email: Summer Intern Opportunity in Space Sciences

Vince Eccles Vince.Eccles at sdl.usu.edu
Wed Oct 19 09:17:51 MDT 2022

The Space Dynamics Laboratory (SDL) has been involved with innovative technologies and cutting-edge science for NASA and DOD programs for over six decades.

SDL's summer internship program provides an exciting opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to get involved with state-of-the art science and technologies in space, airborne, and ground based systems. With the support of mentoring scientists and engineers, interns are able to work on professional level assignments that complement their academic studies. The program also includes training workshops, networking opportunities, and a variety of summer activities.

The SDL Strategic and Military Space Division is seeking a graduate-level physics or engineering student to support the Geospace Environment Impacts and Applications program for the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) located at Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, NM. SDL is investigating the ionosphere and its impact on defense-related systems through basic research and applied science. Interns will be tasked with varying duties based on current projects, needed support, and development phase. Work related topics could include ionospheric theory, radio frequency engineering, signal processing, software development, radio propagation, and plasma physics.

Key Responsibilities/Qualifications:

Atmospheric or ionospheric modeling, simulation, and measurement
Developing state-of-the-art or proof of concept ground and in-situ instrumentation or sensors
Data collection, data compression/decompression, data visualization, data exploitation, and data analysis
Upgrade, refurbishment, or repair of ground-based sensors
Development of control software and analysis tools
Code analysis
Required Qualifications:

Familiarity with basic atmospheric or ionospheric measurement techniques
Competency in a common programming language and analysis tool (e.g., Python, Julia, C++)
Able to work effectively both independently and as a team member and the ability to be productive in a dynamic and collaborative environment
Good communication skills, both written and verbal
Must be a U.S. Citizen, this position may require exposure to information which is subject to US export control regulations, i.e. the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
Education:

Physics, Engineering, Space Science, Atmospheric Science, or applicable degree
Graduate student (e.g. MS, ME, PhD)
3.0 GPA minimum is required
Intern Hiring Period: Oct 1, 2022 - Dec 31, 2023

Interviews can occur any time within the hiring period, so we encourage you to complete and submit your application as early as possible.
Our goal is to notify all applicants of their status by January 31, 2023.

SDL supports a variety of missions, including NASA's vision to reveal the unknown for the benefit of humankind and the Department of Defense's aim to protect our Nation on the ground, in the air, and in space. Our sensors, satellites, software systems, and science and engineering play an essential role in some important missions you've heard of, and others that you haven't. Join our team in our seventh decade of delivering mission success.

For questions or assistance with the application process or the DoD SkillBridge program, please contact employment at sdl.usu.edu.

EOE including Disability and Vet

Vince Eccles
Research Physicist | Ionospheric Research
Space Dynamics Laboratory,
Albuquerque, NM