CEDAR email: URSI GASS 2023

Sandro Radicella radicell at bc.edu
Fri Dec 9 04:40:02 MST 2022

Dear CEDAR community,

We would like to ask you cordially to submit abstracts to our upcoming *G11*
 session at the *URSI GASS2023 *(*Limits of predictability of ionosphere
variability: search for its chaotic and deterministic components*, which
will be held in Sapporo, Japan, from 19-26 August 2023. The abstract
submission deadline is 25th January 2023.

Paper submission page: https://www.ursi-gass2023.jp/papers.html

Session Description:
The understanding of the complex nature of the near-Earth plasma is crucial
for Ionosphere and Space Weather modelling and applications. The goal of
this Session is to discuss to which extent the Magnetosphere – Ionosphere
system is predictable in terms of the physics of dynamical systems and
statistical results. Ionospheric models attempt to predict ionospheric
parameters variations, but quantitative limits of predictability have not
been given and justified. To determine and understand such limits is
essential to define the predictability of the ionospheric parameter
variations searching for the chaotic and deterministic components of such
variations. This can be done also making use of modern techniques like big
data and machine learning. The Session, therefore, seeks to have invited
and contributed papers dealing with recent numerical simulations, case
studies and theoretical as well as modelling perspectives of the problem.

With best regards, G11 conveners

Yenca Migoya-Orué, yenca at ictp.it
Massimo Materassi, massimo.materassi at isc.cnr.it
Tatsushiro Yokohama, yokoyama at rish.kyoto-u.ac.jp