CEDAR email: Invitation to Diversity Equity and Inclusion and CEDAR Workshop

Susan M Nossal nossal at physics.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 25 20:02:16 MDT 2020

Greetings CEDAR community,

We invite you to join us at tomorrow’s workshop on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and CEDAR starting at 11 AM Mountain time on Friday, June, 26th. (http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2020_Workshop:Diversity_Equity_and_Inclusion_and_CEDAR).  The workshop will include both presentations and breakout group discussion.

Description
People of Color and their talents and ideas are underrepresented in the geosciences (https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/voices/the-geosciences-community-needs-to-be-more-diverse-and-inclusive/), including in the CEDAR community. Systemic racism reduces educational and scientific opportunities for communities of color. This workshop is intended to provide a forum for discussion and sharing of lessons learned, best practices, and policy recommendations for how the CEDAR community can broaden participation and inclusion; create a welcoming learning and working environment; and reduce conscious and unconscious bias. There is much that can be done on an individual, institutional, and systemic level to be effective forces of change for the CEDAR and wider STEM communities.  We urge the CEDAR community to review and implement the actionable strategies put forth by the Call for Action for an Anti-Racist Science Community from Geoscientists of Color: Listen, Act, Lead (https://notimeforsilence.org/).  This Call for Action has been endorsed by the American Geophysical Union, the American Meteorological Society, and a number of members of the CEDAR community.  We plan to use this Call for Action as a starting place for discussion during the CEDAR workshop on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.  This moment in history underscores the critical need for transformation in all areas of our society to make for a more equitable and just world.