CEDAR email: 2 1/2 postdoctoral position available at the University of Oslo

Lasse Clausen lasse.clausen at fys.uio.no
Mon Nov 19 23:22:47 MST 2018

The Plasma and Space Physics section of the University of Oslo seeks
candidates for a postdoctoral position within the field of data analysis
and instrument development. The contract will be over 2 1/2 years.

The successful candidate will be a part of the Section for Plasma and
Space Physics at The Department of Physics as well as the 4DSpace
strategic research initiative. The main focus of these groups is to
advance our understanding of high latitude electrodynamics and its
impact on technological systems like GPS and Galileo. For more
information, see:
http://www.mn.uio.no/fysikk/english/research/projects/4dspace/

In July 2017 the first Norwegian scientific satellite was launched into
a polar orbit. On board it carries the multi-needle Langmuir Probe
(m-NLP) developed and built at the University of Oslo. This instrument
is capable of measuring the ionospheric plasma density with a sampling
rate of 1000 Hz, thereby mapping the ionospheric state at an
unprecedented resolution. The successful candidate will utilize this
unique dataset to achieve two goals: (1) map ionospheric structuring and
its driving processes in the mid- and low-latitude region; and (2)
characterize the m-NLP instrument on board NorSat-1 as well as its
interaction with the plasma environment. The second part will involve
comparisons between actual NorSat-1 data and measurements obtained in
our new plasma chamber – the successful candidate is expected to take a
leading part in the development of this new capability here at the
University of Oslo. Another key element of this part is to develop
future versions of the m-NLP to be flown on other satellites and rockets
together with our technical staff. We expect that this work will lead to
several significant advances in the field of plasma turbulence.

Please apply by clicking on this link:
https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/160588/postdoctoral-research-fellowship-in-plasma-and-space-physics

--
Lasse Clausen