CEDAR email: AGU PA Session Announcement – ID 52471

TAI-YIN HUANG tuh4 at psu.edu
Thu Jun 14 08:29:51 MDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

This is to bring to your attention the following session at the AGU Fall Meeting, which will be held in Washington D.C., Dec. 10-14, 2018.

Session ID: 52471
Session Title: PA008. Bridging the gaps between science and science policy
Section/Focus Group: Public Affairs

Science has become an integral part of our daily lives. While the public enjoys the innovations sprung from science, few recognize its importance and value. Additionally, there are gaps between science and science policy that need to be narrowed. How do we scientists convey the importance and the value of science research to our policy makers and the public so that they can make educated and informed decisions on science policy based on scientific results?

T his session provides a platform for scientists to (1) share experiences and effective strategies in communicating science to lay audiences, (2) identify key issues to convey to policy makers, (3) discuss necessary skills to address challenging questions, and (4) clarify misconceptions about scientific research.

Abstract submission site opens on Wednesday June 13 and will close on Aug. 1, 23:59 EDT . We invite scientists of all disciplines to share their experiences (both successes and missteps) so we can learn from each other and begin this important dialogue.

Session Conveners:

Tai-Yin Huang (tuh4 at psu.edu)| Penn State Lehigh Valley
Susan Bates ( bates at ucar.edu )| National Center for Atmospheric Research
Rafael Loureiro ( Rafael at bmsis.org )| Blue Marble Space Institute of Science
Kimberly Duong ( kimberlyduong at gmail.com )| University of California Irvine

Best,

Tai-Yin Huang

Dr. Tai-Yin Huang, 黃泰瑩
Professor of Physics, Penn State Lehigh Valley
[ https://sites.psu.edu/idea/ | Interactions, Dynamics, and Energetics in the Andes (IDEA) ]
[ http://sites.psu.edu/iesepslv/ | Integrated Energy Solutions for Entrepreneurs (IESE) ]