CEDAR email: Invitation for CEDAR talks: Neutral Winds/Coupling in the Low- and Mid-Latitudes

Dandenault, Patrick B. Patrick.Dandenault at jhuapl.edu
Wed Jun 6 13:01:56 MDT 2018

Dear CEDAR Community,

This is an invitation for folks to give presentations at the upcoming 2018 CEDAR Workshop<http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2018_Workshop:Main>.  Our workshop is titled, ‘Neutral Wind Dynamics and Coupling Between the Thermosphere and Ionosphere in the Low- and Mid-Latitude Regions’ [LINK]<http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2018_Workshop:Thermospheric_Neutral_Wind_Dynamics>.  We welcome early career scientists, including students, to give relevant/brief talks.

The details of the session are below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Pat Dandenault

Workshop Name:
Neutral Wind Dynamics and Coupling Between the Thermosphere and Ionosphere in the Low- and Mid-Latitude Regions

Workshop Description:
The ionosphere and thermosphere compose a dynamic, nonlinear and closely coupled system. Changes in thermospheric neutral winds, temperature, and composition have profound effects on both regions via momentum, chemical, and energy coupling. This session focuses on recent advances in understanding thermospheric and ionospheric structures and variability on various spatial and temporal scales during both disturbed and quiet conditions as a result of different driving forces. Particular emphasis will be placed on neutral winds, including their observations, modeling, and role in ionosphere-thermosphere variability. Model-data comparisons of various ionospheric and thermospheric parameters that explore the role of neutral and plasma dynamics and structure are welcome. The session will also address thermospheric wind climatology, including variations on global and local scales, with solar cycle, seasonal, and diurnal time scales. We invite presentations based on observations, modeling, and data assimilation techniques of driver specifications and forecasting.

Workshop Schedule:  Thursday, June 28, 10 AM - 12 PM (2 hours)

Contact:
Pat Dandenault
Patrick.Dandenault at jhuapl.edu<mailto:Patrick.Dandenault at jhuapl.edu>
cell:  202-669-7959

Session URL:
http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2018_Workshop:Thermospheric_Neutral_Wind_Dynamics

Patrick Dandenault, PhD
Space Physics Research (SRG)
JHU/APL, 200-W260
11100 Johns Hopkins Rd, Laurel, MD 20723
Office: 240-228-6967