CEDAR email: AGU session: Future Innovation Across Space Physics and Aeronomy

Semeter, Joshua L jls at bu.edu
Sun Jul 29 12:04:00 MDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

We welcome contributions to AGU session SH033, <https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/50983> Visions of Future Innovation Across Space Physics and Aeronomy<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/50983>.   This session builds upon last year's, with a focus on connecting specific gaps in our understanding of the solar-terrestrial system with innovative approaches (techniques, facilities, collaborations) for filling them.

Session Details:
SH033 Visions of Future Innovation Across Space Physics and Aeronomy II
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/50983
Cross listed with SM and SA
Submission Link<https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/abstract-submissions/>

Our inaugural session on Innovation was received extremely well, indicating the need for outside the box visioning across SPA. This year, we solicit innovative and diverse scientific and technological visions, specifically targeting the areas where there are gaps in our understanding that can and should be filled. Recent results have illustrated gaps in our current framework of science, particularly in coupling interdisciplinary areas. A few examples are: the challenges of transitions in spaceweather R2O2R, the increased need for instrument networks, coupling heterogeneous datasets, model coupling across boundaries, and the stagnant progress on increasing diversity. These gaps prevent closure and stagnate progress. This year, we aim to shed light on these gaps and seek presentations that will bring to bear old questions that can newly be answered leading to new questions that should be targeted. We welcome ideas addressing scientific, technological, and social challenges across the space physics.

Conveners
Carrie Black, National Science Foundation
Joshua L Semeter, Boston University
Elsayed R Talaat, NOAA/NESDIS
Roshanak Hakimzadeh, NASA

 Note: Abstract submission deadline is August 1, 23:59 EDT (Submit Here)<https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/abstract-submissions/>