CEDAR email: Call for abstracts for 2018 AOGS ST-07 (Global Ionosphere, Thermosphere and Mesosphere System Response to Their Drivers)

Zhang, Yongliang Yongliang.Zhang at jhuapl.edu
Fri Jan 5 16:17:29 MST 2018

Dear Colleagues,
We would like to invite you to submit abstracts to ST-07 session of the 2018 Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS) at in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA during June 3 - 8, 2018.
ST07 Global Ionosphere, Thermosphere and Mesosphere System Response to Their Drivers
The ionosphere, thermosphere and Mesosphere (ITM) system variations are strongly driven by energy, momentum and particle inputs from the solar EUV radiation, solar wind, magnetosphere and lower atmosphere, photo-chemical processes as well as ion-neutral coupling. The global ITM response also depends on the temporal and spatial scales of the drivers and has significant feedback effects on the entire coupled geospace. The ITM response or variations have significant impacts on the operation (such as LEO satellite drag, radio scintillation, and ground induced current, etc.). Understanding the interplay among the drivers, responses and feedbacks, would require not only extensive global observations of these drivers and state parameters of various spatial and temporal scales, but also 4-Dimensional global physics-based models to properly interpret these observations.  Today, the combined observations from the continuing space (e.g., TIMED, COSMIC, etc.) and groundbased assets, with those taken by the upcoming international (e.g., U.S. NASA's ICON, GOLD and Taiwan NSPO's COSMIC2) space missions are expected to significantly improve the characterization of the ITM system variabilities. In addition, simulations by advanced models can provide further insights into our understanding of the ITM response. Here we propose this AOGS session to prepare ourselves for this upcoming opportunity by sharing knowledge and capabilities, stimulating scientific discussions, and fostering joint research opportunities among community scientists.  We welcome all contributions based on analysis of data from in situ or remote sensing measurement of space and ground and from model studies (physics based, empirical, and assimilation) on related ITM topics under different solar and geomagnetic conditions (storms, non-storms, periodic variations, and lower atmosphere, etc.). Future plans of new measurements and capabilities are also welcome.

Sincerely,

Yongliang Zhang (Johns Hopkins University/APL)
Sam Yee (Johns Hopkins University/APL)
Jann-Yeng (Tiger) Liu (National Central University)
Libo Liu (Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences)