CEDAR email: CEDAR Thunderstorm Coupling and Effects Workshop Session

Snively, Jonathan B. SNIVELYJ at erau.edu
Mon Jun 5 17:42:40 MDT 2017

Dear CEDAR Workshop Attendees,

We are pleased to invite you to attend our session titled "Electrical and Dynamical Coupling Between Thunderstorms and the Atmosphere-Ionosphere System". This session will focus on the fundamental physical processes driven by thunderstorms that enable coupling from the troposphere into the mesosphere, thermosphere, and ionosphere.

Of particular focus are electrical and dynamical coupling processes that occur over short time scales (milliseconds-to-hours). These include electrical processes and their effects spanning from the atmosphere into the ionosphere, such as Transient Luminous Events (TLEs) – e.g., sprites, halos, elves, and jets – that indicate strong electrical coupling via fields, and Terrestrial Gamma-ray Flashes (TGFs) that reveal the presence of energetic electrons. Equally of interest are neutral wave-dynamical coupling processes, associated with infrasonic-acoustic waves (AWs) and short-period gravity waves (GWs), which are generated by storm systems and impose variability spanning a wide range of scales — They perturb densities in the MLT (including the airglow layers, and the environments in which TLEs form), and strongly modulate the D-, E-, and F-region ionosphere.

Our workshop will include short presentations (~10 minute) on state-of-the-art investigations of thunderstorm-related processes (or, processes relevant to thunderstorms and their effects) that elucidate coupling within the atmosphere-ionosphere system over short time scales, and their effects across systems and scales. We welcome presentations reporting results from all methodologies, including theory, modeling, observation / remote sensing, and experiment.

Please find our workshop page here: http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2017_Workshop:Thunderstorm_Coupling_and_Effects

If you have any questions or wish to contribute a talk, please contact Jonathan Snively (Jonathan.Snively at erau.edu) or Ningyu Liu (Ningyu.Liu at unh.edu).

Sincerely,
Jonathan Snively
Ningyu Liu
Jérémy Riousset
Robert Marshall

--
Jonathan.Snively at ERAU.edu
Associate Professor of Engineering Physics