CEDAR email: AGU Fall Meeting Session SA 010 "Ion Upflow/Outflow Physics and Their Effects on the Coupled Magnetosphere-Ionosphere System"

Shasha Zou shashaz at umich.edu
Mon Jul 17 09:01:27 MDT 2017

Dear All,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to session SA010 at the 2017 Fall AGU meeting. This session is cross-listed in SPA Aeronomy (SA) and SPA Magnetospheric Physics (SM).

Link to the AGU session SA 010: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session23642 <https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session23642>

The detailed information about our session is listed below.

SA010:
Ion Upflow/Outflow Physics and Their Effects on the Coupled Magnetosphere-Ionosphere System

The Earth’s ionosphere is a significant source of plasma to the magnetosphere and a strong influence on the dynamics of the geospace environment. The ionospheric source is contributing plasma to the plasmasphere, the plasma sheet, and the ring current and through wave-particle interactions is playing a major role in the formation and dynamics of the radiation belts. Hence, understanding of the strength and dynamics of the ion upflow/outflow particles up into the magnetosphere is of critical importance to understanding how the magnetosphere is populated and influenced by these initially low-energy particles.
In this session, we invite papers that attempt to improve understanding (1) on the influences of low-altitude ionosphere-thermosphere conditions on ion upflow/outflow into the magnetosphere, (2) on the energization processes of the ion upflow/outflow population for the polar wind, and (3) on the effects of ion outflow population on magnetospheric dynamics. Papers on data, theory, and modeling are invited.

Best regards,
Shasha
On behalf of session conveners
(Vince Eccles, Barbara Giles, Shasha Zou)

Shasha Zou
Associate Professor
Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLaSP)
University of Michigan
1431 Space Research Building
2455 Hayward St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2143