CEDAR email: Arecibo Observatory Research Experience for Undergraduates / Summer 2017

Christiano Brum cbrum at naic.edu
Fri Jan 6 07:59:27 MST 2017

Arecibo Observatory Research Experience for Undergraduates / Summer 2017 (10
weeks)

The Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico invites applications for its
NSF-funded Research Experience for Undergraduates summer program.

Students selected for the program will work with staff scientists on
projects related to ongoing research or instrumentation development.
Students will be exposed to the interdisciplinary character of this unique
research facility through lectures by the staff and visiting scientists,
seminar series, tours of the observatory facilities and frequent informal
discussions with staff and scientists. Students are also expected to have
the opportunity to conduct hands-on observing with the 305-m telescope.

A bonus of our program is the opportunity to explore the beautiful island of
Puerto Rico and its culture. Normally, a few students from universities in
Puerto Rico, supported by our scientists or other programs, also have summer
research internships at the Observatory

Participating REU students will receive a $450-per-week stipend and reside
in Visiting Scientist Quarters at the observatory, where meals are available
in a cafeteria. Room and board will be covered.

Eligibility

Undergraduates who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who will be
enrolled in a bachelor's degree program (part- or full-time; in the US or
abroad) during Fall 2017 are eligible for our program. Regardless of
citizenship, if you have funding from other sources (e.g. your own college),
you can apply using the same form and describe your funding in the comment
box provided.

Research Areas

You will need to select three choices for the research areas of observatory
science from Radio Astronomy, Solar System Radar, Atmospheric Science and
Electrical Engineering to which you wish to apply. More information on this
research areas page.

Application Process

Applications for the REU program should be made via the online form. You
will need to provide the names and email addresses of three references who
have agreed to write letters of recommendation. We encourage you to fill out
this online application form as early as possible so that your references
have sufficient time to upload their letters of recommendation.

Once you have submitted the online form, you will be sent a link to verify
your email address. Your references will not be contacted until you have
verified your email by clicking the provided link.

After email verification, we will send you a link to upload your supporting
documents. Requirements for the supporting documents are given below and in
the FAQ page. Your application is not complete until we receive all the
supporting documents.

We expect to announce a decision on March 1, 2017 (and about mid-March for
students on the waiting list). The REU summer program is scheduled to run
from late May until mid-August. The exact date might differ slightly
depending on you and your project mentor's calendars.

Supporting Documents

We generally look for students who are majoring in astronomy or physics,
computer science and electrical engineering. Grades are important but so are
the student's enthusiasm, initiative, and future goals. We give emphasis to
students with good math and computing backgrounds. See the FAQ page for
details regarding the supporting documents.

Resume / CV: Should contain education details, previous employment, research
/ lab experiences, technical and programming skills, publications and
awards. Maximum of two pages in PDF format.

Academic Transcripts: We require an unofficial transcript, to be submitted
with the digital application, and a mailed-in official transcript, to be
mailed on or before February 1, 2017. If you have multiple transcripts,
please combine them into a single PDF file. Please scan the front and back
of each printed page of the transcript.

Personal Essay: Describe your educational background and goals, and your
scientific interests and experience. Please include any information relevant
to the evaluation of your potential for success as a research assistant in
the Arecibo Observatory REU Summer Program. Maximum of two pages in PDF
format.

Letters of Recommendation: We will contact your references directly after
verifying your online application. Maximum of two pages in PDF format.

Dates

Online Application Open: (December 15, 2016)

Online Application Deadline: (January 25, 2017)

Supporting Documents Deadline: (February 1, 2017)

Initial Offers Sent: (March 1, 2016)

We will send final decisions, after all positions are filled.

REU program  May - August, 2017 (10 weeks)

ONLINE APPLICATION (http://www.naic.edu/reu_program.html)

Christiano Garnett Marques Brum

Deputy Director for Space and Atmospheric Sciences

Arecibo Observatory

Advanced Technology & Systems Division

SRI International

HC3 BOX 53995, Arecibo PR 00612