CEDAR email: SRI International will not participate in the NSF re-competition for the future operation of the Arecibo Observatory

John Kelly John.Kelly at sri.com
Thu Feb 9 16:17:36 MST 2017

  Dear Colleagues,

  SRI International will not participate in the NSF re-competition for
  the future operation of the Arecibo Observatory

The National Science Foundation has recently released a solicitation for
the future operation and maintenance of the Arecibo Observatory – the
World’s most sensitive incoherent scatter radar and radio telescope –
currently operated by SRI International under a facility Cooperative
Support Agreement with NSF.The solicitation describes a future NSF
funding profile which reduces to less than 25% of current levels (having
already been reduced by 30% from the widely accepted minimum operating
budget some five years ago) while effectively calling for continued
operations at current levels.In our opinion, the solicitation provides
no possibility of a viable, response and we have decided that it would
be more effective for SRI to pursue other alternatives to allow the
Observatory to continue as world leader in scientific discovery.

Regards,

John Kelly
//