CEDAR email: senior scientist position at the Norwegian Centre for Space Weather
daniel.martini at uit.no
Mon Feb 6 12:59:55 MST 2017
Senior Scientist at Space Weather Centre at UiT - The Arctic University of Norway
Application deadline: 31.03.2017
UiT The Arctic University of Norway has a vacancy for a scientist as a member of the staff of Tromsø Geophysical Observatory (TGO) and working for The Norwegian Centre for Space Weather (NOSWE). The establishment of NOSWE is strategically in the framework of TGO's involvement in the European Space Agency (ESA) Space Situational Awareness (SSA) program. TGO is the Geomagnetic Conditions Expert Service Centre (G-ESC) Coordinator within this program, and the successful applicant is expected to be heavily involved with the related product development as per P2-SWE-1 and subsequent ESA SSA activities.
The position is available for a period of 3 years, with a good possibility of permanent employment. There is a strong possibility for funding beyond the terms of this job description since the overall ESA SSA programme is expected to span at least a decade.
Further information about the position is available by contacting:
E-mail: daniel.martini at uit.no<mailto:daniel.martini at uit.no>
Telephone: +47 77 64 63 83
Applications must be submitted electronically through https://www.jobbnorge.no/ledige-stillinger/stilling/133752/senior-scientist-at-space-weather-centre-at-uit-the-arctic-university-of-norway
* hold a PhD degree or equivalent as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as Researcher or Postdoc.
* have scientific background in solar-terrestrial physics, and in particular geomagnetism and related instrumentation, services and products. Experience within geomagnetism is considered crucial.
* have excellent collaborative skills
* have excellent command of English
* Good knowledge of ESA SSA projects and proposals/bids.
* Established research activity in particular analysing geomagnetic data in the Polar Regions, is desired.
* Experience in system programming is desired.
* Good knowledge of space weather activities in Europe and Norway outside the ESA SSA program.
The successful applicant will:
* perform original research that aims at a better understanding of the interaction of Earth’s magnetic field with the solar-terrestrial environment, with an emphasize on the physics of Earth’s polar areas.
* work on and follow through ESA Space Situational Awareness sub-projects already embarked upon by TGO; completion of these sub-projects is the foreseen funding source for the position from 2017.
* aim to obtain further ESA contracts.
* actively search for further funding sources such that the Centre will become economically self-sufficient
* be expected to collaborate closely with the rest of the TGO staff, the Department of Physics and Technology, and other departments at the University to make use of any available resources.
* be expected to collaborate with other kindred organizations both at a national and international level.
Applications must be submitted electronically through http://www.jobbnorge.no.
Your application must include:
* application letter and CV
* diplomas and references
* a list of scientific works
* the works (published or unpublished) you wish us to take into consideration during the assessment process must be submitted
* a description of your scientific production
Coordinator ESA SSA Geomagnetic Conditions Expert Service Centre (G-ESC)/
Science Leader Norwegian Center for Space Weather
Tromsø Geophysical Observatory/
Norwegian Center for Space Weather (NOSWE)
UiT - The Arctic University of Norway
Postboks 6050 Langnes
N-9037 Tromsø, Norway
Tlf: +47 776 46383
--You are on the planet for only a few years. Do something good, then go with smile.--
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Cedar_email