CEDAR email: 2015 AGU Fall Meeting Session: "SM013: Inner magnetosphere cross-population interactions”

Jichun Zhang jichun.zhang at unh.edu
Mon Jul 27 19:23:32 MDT 2015

2015 AGU Fall Meeting Session: "SM013: Inner magnetosphere cross-population interactions”
From: Jichun Zhang <jichun.zhang at unh.edu>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to encourage members of the CEDAR community to submit abstracts to the SM013 session at the 2015 AGU Fall Meeting: Inner magnetosphere cross-population interactions. This session is directly related to the GEM Focus Group (FG), Inner Magnetosphere Cross-Energy/Population Interactions (IMCEPI), and we are especially interested in contributed presentations bridging GEM and CEDAR research interests.

Session Description:
The terrestrial inner magnetosphere is populated by particles in a variety of energies, which form distinct regions such as the ring current, plasma sheet, plasmasphere, and radiation belts. These particle populations can interact with each other through electric field perturbations that couple the inner magnetosphere and the ionosphere, magnetic field distortions due to the formation of the ring current during magnetic storms, and plasma wave activity. Recent in-situ measurements of plasma, fields, and waves from current space missions (e.g., Van Allen Probes, MMS, Cluster, THEMIS, TWINS, POES, and GOES) and advances in modeling and theory have been greatly improving our understanding of the inner magnetosphere cross-population interactions. We solicit presentations on observations, numerical simulations, and theoretical investigations that address coupling between electric/magnetic fields and plasma, interactions between cold/hot/energetic particles via waves, and effects of ionospheric particle precipitation on the inner magnetosphere dynamics.

Conveners:
Jichun Zhang, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH, United States, jichun.zhang at unh.edu
Yiqun Yu, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, United States, yiqun at lanl.gov
Colby L. Lemon, The Aerospace Corporation, Los Angeles, CA, United States, colby at aero.org
Michael W. Liemohn, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, United States, liemohn at umich.edu

More information can be found on the following webpage:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/Session7688