CEDAR email: Fall AGU session: SA006: Enabling Scientific Discovery Through Integrated Space and Ground-based Observations

Asti Bhatt asti.bhatt at sri.com
Mon Jul 13 11:15:06 MDT 2015

Dear All,

Please consider submitting an abstract to the session *SA006: Enabling
Scientific Discovery Through Integrated Space and Ground-based
Observations. *We invite presentations on new observations made by
combining space and ground-based measurements. We also invite modeling
community to present data needs that can be met by combining ground and
space observations covering multiple scales.

The abstract deadline is *Wednesday, August 5*. Submit abstracts at the
Fall Meeting website
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/start.html>.  Early
submissions by July 29 may earn free registration
<http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2015/submit-early-win-big-rules-and-guidelines/>.

*Session ID#: * 9179

          Session Description:

An outstanding challenge in the upper atmospheric research is specifying
the state of the space-atmosphere interaction region at a particular
time and location. High temporal and spatial variability in measured
parameters, however, severely limits the potential for accurate
characterization and predictions. Both ground-based and space-based
instruments are used to study upper atmospheric processes such as
ionospheric storm response and plasma-neutral coupling at different
spatial and temporal scales. These include ground-based radio and
optical instruments and space-based satellite missions making
multi-scale and in-situ measurements. While the ground-based and
space-based communities often operate in isolation, rewarding scientific
discovery has come from effective collaboration and combining measurements.

In this session, we invite presentations on science resulting from
combining space and ground-based measurements. We also invite the
geospace system modeling community to present data needs at various
spatio-temporal scales that can be met by combining ground and
space-based measurements.

Conveners: Asti Bhatt and Elizabeth Kendall, SRI International

--
Asti Bhatt
Center for Geospace Studies