CEDAR email: Announcement about 2015 Joint Assembly deadline next week

Mike Ruohoniemi mikeruo at vt.edu
Thu Jan 8 09:51:16 MST 2015

This is a reminder that January 14 (Wednesday next week) is the deadline
for submitting abstracts to the 2015 Joint Assembly which will be held in
Montreal, May 3-7. The Assembly is co-sponsored by the AGU, CGU, GAC, and
MAC.  The location for the meeting is The Palais des congrès de Montreal,
located at 201 Viger Street West, Montreal, QC.

The meeting program includes special sessions of interest to the CEDAR
community as well as a session for general contributions.

Meeting website:  http://ja.agu.org/2015/

Abstract submission website:
http://ja.agu.org/2015/scientific-program/abstracts/

We draw your attention in particular to this session:

Session Title: New Findings and Insights from High-Resolution Studies of
the Ionosphere

Primary Convener:
Jean-Pierre St-Maurice, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Co-Conveners:
J. Michael Ruohoniemi, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, United States
Kathryn A McWilliams, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Session Description:

The ongoing technological revolutions in instrumentation and numerical
modeling mean that we are able to probe the ionosphere with unprecedented
resolution both in time and space. The new findings reveal far more
structure and variability than expected. The surprises include phenomena
such as strong electric fields occurring on km-scales; fascinating small-
scale structures in time and/or space seen in all the main plasma
parameters; rockets and satellites showing the existence of decameter-scale
cavities; short-lived plasma seen in the aurora in conjunction with rays or
coronal forms; and numerical simulations of E region turbulence revealing
 details of the evolution of small-scale plasma structure. The remarkable
dynamics of the ionosphere at these scales across disparate phenomena
present challenges for our understanding of ionospheric physics and
magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling. This session solicits presentations
based on recent instrumental or numerical high-resolution studies of the
ionosphere. All latitudes and ionospheric altitudes are to be included.