CEDAR email: Faculty Position in Space Sciences at UT Dallas

Heelis, Roderick heelis at utdallas.edu
Thu Feb 5 08:53:13 MST 2015

Tenure Track Faculty Opening at University of Texas at Dallas
The University of Texas at Dallas invites applications for a faculty position in Atmospheric and Space Sciences in the Department of Physics and the Hanson Center for Space Sciences. A strong program in ionosphere-thermosphere and ionosphere-magnetosphere physics is presently conducted using space and ground based observations, as well as numerical modeling. We seek to reinforce the program capabilities by adding depth in the area of ion-neutral coupling and ionosphere-magnetosphere interactions in a manner that will leverage our expertise in space and ground-based instrumentation. An interest in pursuing a small satellite initiative would be an advantage.  The successful candidate should have a Ph.D. in space sciences or physics with an emerging record of research accomplishment and a strong commitment to teaching at both the undergraduate and advanced graduate level. We expect to make anappointment at the assistant professor level but higher ranks will be considered if circumstances warrant.

The Physics Department has a vigorous research programs in Cosmology and Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, Materials and Biophysics as well as Atmospheric and SpaceSciences.   Student and faculty collaborations in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering also offer opportunities for interdisciplinary research initiatives.

The University of Texas at Dallas now has an enrollment of over 23,000 students and is situated in Richardson, one of the most attractive suburbs of the Dallas metropolitan area.  It has been designated by the State of Texas as one of seven emerging universities to be encouraged to become major research campuses.

Applications will be evaluated starting March 1, 2015 and will continue until the position is filled.
We expect to make an appointment to start in Spring 2016.

Interested persons should complete an online application including statements of teaching and research interests, available at http://provost.utdallas.edu/facultyjobs

Questions can be addressed to the chair of the search committee, R.A. Heelis at heelis at utdallas.edu<mailto:Phillip.Anderson1 at utdallas.edu>