CEDAR email: SRI International - Director, Arecibo Observatory Opportunity

James Elliott james.elliott at sri.com
Wed Dec 2 14:52:33 MST 2015

Dear CEDAR Community,

My name is James Elliott and I am the Technical Recruiter for SRI International supporting the hiring for our Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico. Please review the job description below and if you are interested please apply on our careers page at https://www.sri.com/careers/search-jobs by typing "637BR" into the "Auto Req ID". Thank you and I look forward to reviewing your application!

Title: Director, Arecibo Observatory

Job Description
The Director of Arecibo Observatory Operations has primary responsibility for the
operation and maintenance of the 305-m Arecibo telescope, the Observatory site,
instrumentation, and facilitation of the scientific programs.  This position is located at the Observatory near the city of Arecibo, Puerto Rico.  He/She will also manage the primary on-site subcontractors, UMET and USRA, and be responsible for management of the SRI Observatory staff. He/she will work with the SRI Principal Investigator, USRA and UMET on-site management, to plan and manage the Observatory budget, represent the Observatory in local, national and international conferences, promote the Observatory scientific program, and seek programmatic support through focused proposals to potential sponsors. Specifically the candidate will:
*    Serve as liaison to local government officials,
*    Offer talks at Universities in order to promote the Observatory and recruit new staff and students,
*    Interact with program managers at Federal agencies
*    Prepare proposals to fund new instruments and projects
*    Coordinate a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers
*    Seek to cut costs and increase the performance and availability for observational time of our main instrument, the 305 meter radio telescope.
The Director of Arecibo Observatory Operations is an employee of SRI International, the institution that, together with USRA and UMET, manages the Observatory on behalf of the National Science Foundation. The Director reports to SRI's Arecibo Principal Investigator. The individual will fully participate in the SRI benefits program.

Requirements
An advanced degree in one of the scientific disciplines on site - Astronomy, Space Physics, Atmospheric Science, Radio Science, or related field is preferred. The potential candidate must have had at least 15 years' experience in managing scientific or engineering research teams, project management experience, knowledge of business and contracting under federal funding requirements, and proven leadership skills. The position requires excellent communication skills, organization, and personal initiative, ability to work well with clients, Observatory staff and visitors. Experience working for a national research facility is a desirable qualification.

Best regards,
James Elliott
Technical Recruiter
SRI International