CEDAR email: AGU Fall 2015: Nanosatellite Atmospheric Sensors Session

Kerri Cahoy kcahoy at mit.edu
Tue Aug 4 18:34:24 MDT 2015

Dear All,

The AGU Fall 2015 abstract deadline is tomorrow, Wed 5 Aug at 11:59 pm EDT.

We would enjoy hearing about your work in the area of Nanosatellite Atmospheric Sensors, so please do consider submitting to our session. (We will again do our best to optimize number of oral presentations, and to keep the poster session lively).

While we conveners currently have our heads figuratively in Earth’s clouds, we are definitely interested in sensors geared for planetary atmospheres as well (and even exoplanet atmospheres).

Any questions, feel free to contact us directly. Note that AGU also has some rules in place about authors being members and number of abstracts submitted per first author that may require some logistical acrobatics, so I’ve found empirically that starting the process around this evening into tomorrow morning is a bit less stressful. Also hope to see some of you at SmallSat next week.

Best,
Kerri

----

Session ID#: 8870
Session Description:
Relatively frequent access to space for nanosatellites as secondary payloads supports their use as platforms for compact atmospheric sounding and imaging instruments. Scientists and engineers are developing miniaturized sensors and sounders with state of the art measurement capabilities with the goal of fielding constellations of nanosatellites to improve geospatial, temporal, and spectral coverage of the Earth. Several instruments, such as miniaturized millimeter-wave to submillimeter-wave radiometers and GNSS radio occultation systems, are either under development or have been recently deployed for technology demonstration missions on CubeSats. This session will capture current status from missions in development, results from recently deployed missions, and plans for improving communication, data acquisition, processing, validation, and the release of data products. This session will also include observing system simulation experiments that demonstrate and quantify the science benefit of nanosatellite constellation architectures for applications such as severe weather forecasting, spectrometry, and ionospheric tomography.
Primary Convener:
Kerri Cahoy, Massachusetts Inst of Tech, Cambridge, MA, United States
Conveners:
William J Blackwell, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, Lexington, MA, United States, Boon Lim, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA, United States and Albin John Gasiewski, Univ of Colorado, Boulder, CO, United States
Co-Sponsor(s):
	• AMS - American Meteorological Society
Index Terms:

0350 Pressure, density, and temperature [ATMOSPHERIC COMPOSITION AND STRUCTURE]
0394 Instruments and techniques [ATMOSPHERIC COMPOSITION AND STRUCTURE]
2494 Instruments and techniques [IONOSPHERE]
3360 Remote sensing [ATMOSPHERIC PROCESSES]

Kerri Cahoy
Assistant Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 37-367
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Office: (617) 324-6005
Cell: (650) 814-8148