CEDAR email: Call for participation in GEM-CEDAR Modeling Challenge Session at 2014 GEM mini-Workshop

Shim, Ja Soon (GSFC-674.0)[CATHOLIC UNIV OF AMERICA] jasoon.shim at nasa.gov
Tue Nov 25 13:43:45 MST 2014

Call for participation in GEM-CEDAR Modeling Challenge Session at 2014 GEM mini-Workshop

We invite modelers, data providers, science and operational users of space weather models to participate in the GEM-CEDAR Modeling Challenge Session, which will be held during 2014 GEM mini-Workshop on Sunday, December 14th, 2014, 02:20-06:10 pm, in the Cornell Room of the Westin San Francisco Market Street, 50 Third St. San Francisco.
Topics for discussions and tentative agenda

Modeling challenges in auroral region (2:20-4:10)

      • Introduction: Masha Kuznetsova (CCMC) (2:20-2:30)
      • Auroral Charging and environments information required to model charging: Joseph I. Minow (NASA, Marshall Space Flight Center) (2:30-2:50)
      • Intense Poynting flux observed at very high latitude during magnetic storms: Yanshi Huang (Univ. of New Mexico) (2:50-3:05)
      • New results on the energy transfer to the ionosphere-thermosphere: Cheryl Y Huang (USAF AFMC AFRL/RVBXP) (3:05-3:20)
Discussion (3:20-4:10)
      • How to define boundaries in auroral region
      • How to model boundaries in auroral region and validate them

Modeling challenges in TEC and neutral density (4:20-6:10)

We will focus on the formulation of new validation study of model performance in predicting TEC. We will build upon our previous TEC validation study that was conducted for 8 discontinuous longitude swaths (5 degrees) for 2006 Dec event using GPS TEC measurements provided by MIT (Anthea Coster and Larisa Goncharenko) and JPL (Xiaoqing Pi) and IGS TEC provided by Sarah McDonald (NRL) to expand the study. For the new TEC validation study, we will consider larger continuous regions (e.g., North and South America, and Europe) with high data coverage. One of the key lessons learned from the previous TEC validation study, it is critical to understand uncertainty in TEC measurements for model validation. In the workshop, we will discuss how to prepare TEC measurements for better model validation study

      • Capabilities and experience of Northrop-Grumman and why we need accurate ionospheric models: James C. Jones (Northrop-Grumman) (4:20-4:35)
      • Uncertainty assessment of TEC measurements: Ludger Scherliess (USU) (4:35-4:50)
      • TEC data quality for data assimilation models and model validation: Geoff Crowley (ASTRA) (4:50-5:05)
      • TEC modeling (and Mahalanobis): Roy Calfas (Univ. of Texas) (5:05-5:20)
Discussion (5:20-5:45)
      • TEC data preparation for validation study
         o vTEC vs sTEC
         o Bin size (lat x lon x time) for vTEC
         o Selection of TEC observation as a ground truth: difference in TEC due to different data processing (e.g., MIT TEC and JPL TEC)
      • New results in thermosphere modeling: Dan Weimer (Virginia Tech) (5:45-6:00)
Discussion (6:00-6:10)
      • Neutral density at higher altitude (> 600 km)

Please join the GEM-CEDAR Modeling Challenge Workshop and share your thoughts on the topics.

Masha Kuznetsova
Ja Soon Shim