CEDAR email: AGU Fall Meeting Session 2941: A Mid-Course Correction for the Sun-Earth Connection

Pesnell, William D. (GSFC-6710) william.d.pesnell at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 30 16:04:28 MDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to submit an abstract to the following session at the Fall AGU meeting and to participate in the discussion at the meeting.

Scott Mcintosh and W. Dean Pesnell

Session 2941: A Mid-Course Correction for the Sun-Earth Connection

We may live in the atmosphere of our star, but our understanding of the Sun-Earth Connection (SEC) is far from complete. While improving considerably over the last two decades through observational and modeling advances, we are still humbled by the (many) ways in which the Sun’s magnetic field can affect the Earth and humanity. The need to understand the SEC is compounded by the fact that ten years from now we will have even more advanced observatories sampling the coupled domain. That means it is time to take stock and ask important questions about our understanding of the SEC and provide return for the hardware and intellectual investment. Where are the holes in our understanding? What processes and mechanisms should be prioritized for research in the next decade? How would we observe and model them? Papers addressing the future of SEC research are solicited for this special session.

To submit an Abstract to this Session go to http://agu.confex.com/agu/fm14/sh/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=2941

Scott Mcintosh and W. Dean Pesnell, Conveners