CEDAR email: 2014 AGU session: "Thermospheric composition and its coupling to ionosphere"

Zhang, Yongliang Yongliang.Zhang at jhuapl.edu
Wed Jul 2 14:41:28 MDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,
Please consider submitting an abstract to the session. The abstract submission deadline is August 6, 2014.
Thanks.

Session Title: Thermospheric Composition Variability and its Coupling to the Ionosphere
Session ID: 2960

Session Description:
The global thermosphere, its composition, temperature and wind, changes over different time scales. These time scales range from nearly instantaneous through hours and days up to decades with various magnitudes. We see especially large responses during magnetic storms and there is evidence of pre-conditioning in the response. These variations in the thermosphere (T) have significant impact on the ionosphere (I) by changes in the chemical loss rate of the plasma, by cooling of the thermosphere and ionosphere due to enhanced NO, and by changes in the O+ and H+ transition height and topside ionic species chemistry and dynamics. The changes in the ionospheric density and temperature also have a large feedback effect on the thermosphere, not just in the high latitude region, but globally. We welcome contributions that review current knowledge and issues and discuss plans (data analysis, modeling and measurement) to advance our understanding of the globally coupled T-I system.

Conveners:
Yongliang Zhang, yongliang.zhang at jhuapl.edu
Larry J Paxton, larry.paxton at jhuapl.edu<mailto:larry.paxton at jhuapl.edu>
Timonthy J Fuller-Rowell,  tim.fuller-rowell at noaa.gov