CEDAR email: ANGEO issue for C/NOFS; CEDAR Workshop participation

Barbara Emery emery at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 21 14:10:32 MDT 2013

This is a generic mailing to the CEDAR community sent 12 June 2013.
Meetings and jobs are listed at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu under
'Community' as 'Calendar of Meetings' and 'CEDAR related opportunities'.
CEDAR email messages are under 'Community' as 'CEDAR email Newsletters'.
All are in 'Quick Links' on the main page.
(1) Special ANGEO Issue on C/NOFS Results and Equatorial Ionospheric
Electrodynamics.
 From Jeff Klenzing <jeffrey.klenzing at nasa.gov>.

(2) Invitation to participate in the CEDAR workshops linked at
http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2013_Workshop:Agenda
*(a) System-Theoretic Approach to CEDAR Science -- Wednesday June 26 (1:30 -
3:30pm).
 From Tomoko Matsuo <tomoko.matsuo at colorado.edu>.
*(b) Data assimilation at MIT boundaries, 13:30-15:30 in Flagstaff on Tuesday,
June 25.
 From Seebany Datta-Barua <sdattaba at iit.edu>.
*(c) Planning Observing System Configurations for Answering Geospace
System Science by Utilizing Simulation and Data Assimilation, Wed June 26 10-12AM.
 From Gary Bust <Gary.Bust at jhuapl.edu>.

(1) Special ANGEO Issue on C/NOFS Results and Equatorial Ionospheric
Electrodynamics.
 From Jeff Klenzing <jeffrey.klenzing at nasa.gov>.

The C/NOFS Results and Equatorial Dynamics Technical Interchange Meeting was held
in Albuquerque, New Mexico on 12–14 March 2013. The meeting was a great success
with nearly 80 participants, and covered topics including the numerical simulations
of plasma irregularities, the effects of tides, stratospheric phenomena, and
magnetic
storms on the upper atmosphere, causes and predictions of scintillation-causing
ionospheric irregularities, current and future instrumentation efforts in the
equatorial region. We invite the participants of this meeting, or other researchers
with closely aligned research aims, to submit their new and original research
topics
to the special issue of Annales Geophysicae, titled "C/NOFS results and equatorial
ionospheric dynamics".

The special issue will be an electronic collection where individual papers are
published immediately rather than remaining "in press" until the final paper is
accepted. The review process will be the same as for any submission to Annales
Geophysicae. Please email jeffrey.klenzing at nasa.gov with any questions about the
special issue.

Guest Editors: M. Pinnock, J. Klenzing, J. Retterer, L. C. Gentile, R. Stoneback,
O. De La Beaujardiere, and F. Rodrigues

 From Tomoko Matsuo <tomoko.matsuo at colorado.edu>.

Invitation to participate in the CEDAR workshops linked at
http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2013_Workshop:Agenda

System-Theoretic Approach to CEDAR Science -- Wednesday June 26 (1:30 - 3:30pm)

This workshop will address the need, raised in CEDAR/NewDimension strategic
thrusts #1 and #6, for the integration of "systems science" approaches in order
to meet the future challenges of the CEDAR community.  A tutorial followed by a
few brief application presentations will prepare attendees to understand and
participate in a panel discussion and forum on the potentials, challenges and
effective application of system theory and systematic inference methodologies.
The goal is to entice and inspire scientists in the CEDAR community to bring
this new perspective to their own science questions, and to share processes of
formulating questions and approaches that incorporate system theory.

The session will begin with an introduction to terms and methodologies of system
theory and inference approaches (Part I).  Three short talks will then cover
examples of specific applications to demonstrate the potential and bottleneck
issues of applying system science approaches to CEDAR science questions (Part
II).  Finally, an open discussion will be a forum on the potential and effective
application of systems science approaches to address outstanding CEDAR science
questions (Part III).

*Part I
**-- Overview of system theory fundamentals and relevance to geospace science --
by Farzad Kamalabadi
*Part II
**-- System science with stochastic differential equations --  by David Hysell
**-- Data assimilation and ensemble modeling for system science --  by Tomoko Matsuo
**-- Selected topics in geospace systems science(1) -- by Josh Semeter
*Part III
**-- Open Discussion

(1)Examples related to geospace plasma circulation and solar wind energy
transfer are used to illustrate the need for distributed sensing, long-term data
collection, and a systems theoretic approach.

We'd like to invite everyone to participate in this workshop and contribute to
an open discussion.
Please bring a few viewgraphs to present if you'd like.

For questions and suggestions, please contact us.

Tomoko Matsuo <tomoko.matsuo at colorado.edu>,
David Hysell <david.hysell at cornell.edu>,
Farzad Kamalabadi <farzadk at uiuc.edu>,
Joshua Semeter <jls at bu.edu>

The CEDAR webpage is at
http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2013_Workshop:Systems_theoretical_approach
(2) Invitation to participate in the CEDAR workshops linked at
http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2013_Workshop:Agenda
*(b) Data assimilation at MIT boundaries, 13:30-15:30 in Flagstaff on Tuesday,
June 25.
 From Seebany Datta-Barua <sdattaba at iit.edu>.

Conveners Datta-Barua, Matsuo, Bust, Pi, Scherliess

http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2013_Workshop:Data_assimilation_at_MIT_boundaries

Overview

Data assimilation has been developing in recent years as a viable method for
specification and forecast of upper atmospheric dynamics. This workshop will
focus on the capabilities and complexities of using data assimilation for
improved understanding of dynamical coupling, particularly at the overlapping
magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere (MIT) regions. The science challenge to be
addressed by this workshop is: what new insights on coupling at the boundaries
does data assimilation give us? What does it have the potential to provide? What
are the current limitations of data assimilation, and what strategies,
techniques, and data could and should be brought to bear to address the
limitations?

This workshop will give an overview of new science on exchange processes between
boundaries of the coupled region as enabled by existing algorithms, techniques,
and the data sets and models that underlie them. Papers dealing with techniques
in assimilation of data into models, expansion of data sources available for
assimilation, and new science findings enabled by assimilation are welcome.  The
session will also include a discussion to identify key elements that underlie
the challenges in assimilation, ways to measure progress in assimilative
methods, and suggest possible ways forward. Having identified areas for
development, we will plan a follow-on workshop to be held at CEDAR 2014 in which
these themes are addressed, and progress in the community is self-assessed.

For this workshop we welcome all members of the data assimilation community to
make brief presentations on the current status of their algorithms and future
plans. We also welcome the entire CEDAR / GEM community to be part of the
planning discussion, since these data assimilation algorithms are of benefit to
the entire community.

Workshop Part 1 (1 hour)
The first half of the workshop will be devoted to brief “state-of-the-field”
reports on the current status of MIT data assimilation algorithms, and
next-stage research and development plans for these algorithms. Confirmed
speakers include:

Doug Brinkman, Aerospace, Accuracy metric comparison with IDA4D

Gary Bust, JHUAPL, Indirect Estimation of IT State at High Resolution

Ellen Cousins, NCAR, Data assimilation of SuperDARN mid- and high-latitude data

Alex Cushley, Royal Military College, Ionospheric Tomography Using Faraday
Rotation of Automatic Dependant Surveillance Broadcast UHF Signals

I-Te Lee, NCAR, COSMIC EDP into NCAR/TIEGCM using Ensemble Kalman Filtering

Xiaoqing Pi, JPL: TBD

Ludger Scherliess, USU: The use of a data assimilation model for the estimation
of ionospheric drivers and their use for CEDAR science

Workshop Part 2 (1 hour)

The second half of the workshop (1 hour) will be a planning discussion on
developing a community-wide data assimilation self-assessment and validation of
various algorithms and the state of MIT data assimilation, in a cooperative,
joint, and interactive manner.

Topics for the open forum Discussion Session include:

Technical challenges:
*- How to effectively assimilate data in the presence of large model errors/biases
*- How to estimate model drivers when direct observations of drivers are
unavailable
*- How to deal with observation sparsity

Ways to measure progress:
*- How does data assimilation help solve CEDAR science questions?
*- How has data assimilation improved specification and forecasting?