CEDAR email: 2012 SORCE Meeting, Annapolis, MD, Sept. 18-19 -- Call for Abstracts

Vanessa George Vanessa.George at lasp.colorado.edu
Wed May 16 16:10:03 MDT 2012

2012 SORCE Science Meeting - Call for Abstracts

"Models of Spectral Irradiance Variability: Origins in the solar atmosphere and impacts on Earth's atmosphere"

September 18-19, 2012  *   Annapolis, Maryland

http://lasp.colorado.edu/sorce/news/2012ScienceMeeting/index.html

We are pleased to announce the 2012 Solar Radiation and Climate Experiment (SORCE) Science Meeting.  We will examine modeling efforts to understand solar spectral irradiance (SSI) variability, in terms of both its origins in the solar atmosphere and its impact on Earth's climate and atmosphere. Sessions will be organized around the following key questions:

*         Development of 3-D models of the solar atmosphere are rapidly progressing; how will these models further our understanding of the radiative properties of the solar atmosphere relative to static 1-D models?

*         Do small scale processes on the Sun scale to give irradiance variability, and do they give a reasonable explanation of changes that can occur on decadal or centennial scales that relate to climate change?

*         Does incorporating SSI data into GCMs improve the prediction skills of these models, and do different models produce similar results with the same solar input?

*         For both solar models and GCMs, how well do model predictions agree with observations over decadal time scales?

The format for this meeting consists of invited and contributed presentations in four theme sessions.  We encourage your participation and hope that you will share this announcement with colleagues.  The 2012 Meeting will be held jointly with the NASA GSFC / CU LASP Sun Climate Research Center Symposium.

Deadlines:
Abstract:  June 29, 2012
Pre-Registration:  Aug. 17, 2012
Hotel:  Aug. 17, 2012