CEDAR email: CEDAR Announcement

Gjerloev, Jesper W Jesper.Gjerloev at jhuapl.edu
Mon Aug 9 14:36:16 MDT 2010

Dear CEDAR Editor

We would be grateful if you would distribute the message below in the CEDAR newsletter.

Best wishes,
jesper

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jesper W. Gjerloev, Ph.D.
 Senior Staff Scientist
 PI - SuperMAG Initiative
 Applied Physics Laboratory
 Johns Hopkins University
 11100 Johns Hopkins Road
 Laurel, MD 20723-6099

Work Phone : +1 240 228 5014
Work FAX : +1 240 228 1641
E-mail: jesper.gjerloev at jhuapl.edu<mailto:jesper.gjerloev at jhuapl.edu>
SuperMAG: http://supermag.jhuapl.edu

--> I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear colleagues,

Please note the session on " Auroral Forms And Their Role In The Dungey Convection Cycle", to be held at the upcoming AGU 2010 Fall Meeting, 13-17 December 2010, in San Francisco. Papers based on observations from ground-based or space assets, theoretical studies, or simulations/modeling are all welcome.

Best regards,

Jesper W Gjerloev, Brian Anderson, Larry Lyons, and William Lotko

AGU Fall Meeting 2010

SM13: Auroral Forms And Their Role In The Dungey Convection Cycle

Sponsor:     SPA-Magnetospheric Physics

Co-Sponsor:  SPA-Aeronomy

AURORAL FORMS and their role in THE DUNGEY CONVECTION CYCLE

Closing the Dungey global convection cycle is a fundamental space physics problem that all driven magnetospheres have to resolve. At Earth this cycle is intimately tied to the electrodynamics of the meso-scale auroral forms seen in the nighttime sector.  These recurrent forms are associated with the field-aligned currents which determine the pattern and degree of return flow on the nightside.  The closure processes  spawn a multitude of scale sizes whose roles in energy and momentum transport are not currently understood.  Papers based on observations from ground-based or space assets, theoretical studies, or simulations/modeling are all welcome.

Abstract submission for the AGU Fall Meeting 2010 is now open.

Submission deadline of Thursday 2 September 2010.

Also note that Friday 27 August is the last day to join the AGU in order to submit an abstract as a member. More details will be posted on the AGU fall meeting website at http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm10/.

Convenors:

Jesper W Gjerloev, Johns Hopkins University APL, Jesper.Gjerloev at jhuapl.edu

Brian Anderson, Johns Hopkins University APL, Brian.Anderson at jhuapl.edu

Larry Lyons, UCLA, larry at atmos.ucla.edu